Chapter Fifteen

Benedict's POV

It still hurts to walk, but Beth has done a good job tending to my wounds. I have to get out of bed and exit the tent so that it can be taken down and packed. Martin is waiting for me outside.

"How does it feel?" he asks. I shrug.

"It's fine," I lie. He nods anyway.

"I wanted you to see my girls, but Veronica took them to go water the horses." He looks at my face, almost to gauge my reaction at hearing her name, but my expression doesn't change.

"Well, we have the whole trip, however long it will be."

"It will only be a few days, really."

Veronica and two teenage girls enter our campsite from the woods. I avoid looking at Nica and instead focus my attention on Joe and Grace. They've grown up a lot from when I last saw them.

They both gape at me, smile, then run to me.

"Ben!" Joe cries, and she runs into my arms. "It's been too long," she says, and I smile.

"It's good to see you," I say, and Grace soon joins in the hug.

Still, this happy moment is tinted with bitterness. Why couldn't my reunion with Veronica look more like this?

"I'll talk to you more on the trip, Ben, but I promised Ian that I'd go help Christy. See you later!" She takes off, and I give Martin a questioning look.

"Who's Christy?" I ask.

"Ahh, Christy. That would be Ian's pregnant wife." I gape at him.

"Ian's married?" Martin nods sadly.

"Yes, they were married 3 years ago. We met Christy's family while we and a few others were tramping around in the woods. She was caring for her younger sister, Maggie, with the help of her injured father. There mother had already died long before." I'm still staring at Martin.

"But... I always thought-"

"Yes, I always did, too."

"So, you mean... it didn't happen."

"No, Ian and Veronica could never get married."

"But why?"

"I think that it would be best if Veronica told you this story." I scowl.

"Yes, except we're not exactly on speaking terms." Martin grinned.

"She'll come around. She's had a rough last few years, Ben, give her some time." I again wish that I could relieve her of every hard thing she ever had to endure. I wish to make her pure and unscathed again.