Chapter Thirty-Five

Benedict's POV

"Doctor, is there a possibility that they can remember?" I had asked, and the Doctor sighed.

"Yes, but I can assure you it would be very shocking to the system. Especially since she did- you know, die." He knew I was referring to Veronica.

"But the memories are still there? She COULD remember?"

"She could, Ben. It's a longshot, but she could." It was all I needed. Just a little bit of hope.

------------------

I wait outside her apartment building again, for the second day. I know Veronica's at work, but I have nowhere else to be. I don't have any business. I'm just here.

I read a book, though not successfully, while I wait. "The Time Machine", by H.G. Wells. Fitting.

Knowing, now, that there is so much more out there; well, it's a bit frightening, really. Knowing that there are aliens and men like the Doctor and other life just floating around up there.

Knowing that time travel is real and that the destruction of our world was put off because a man went back in time.

I hear footsteps coming up the walk, and I look up and see Veronica, and she grins.

"Have you got nothing better to do than wait around for me to get off of work?" I stand, closing my book and putting it away. She gapes at me. "Well, you're all dressed up!"

It's true. I'm wearing black pants and a maroon, button-up, long-sleeved shirt. Veronica looks down at her own clothes, and I can see uncertainty flicker across her features.

"I had a specific place in mind for tonight. You can change, if you'd like." She blushes.

"Yes, please. I'd prefer that. Umm, do you want to come in while you wait? I'll only be a little bit." I nod and follow her.

Veronica seems embarrassed by the inside of her apartment. I find it charming, even if it is messy.

"Sorry about the mess... I haven't really cleaned in a few weeks. Kenzie does a little bit of it herself, but mostly she just stays in her own room. So, she doesn't really clean up out here." She gestures toward the living room. "Umm, do you want a drink?" I shake my head.

"You said you wouldn't be long. I can wait." She smiles, sets her purse down on the kitchen table, and retreats into her own room, slamming the door behind her in her haste.

I meander around the front room, browsing the two shelves of movies that the two friends share.

I'm just now peeking into the pantry, curious to see what they have it filled with, when her bedroom door opens and she emerges.

"Oh, goodness. Are you hungry? I'm so sorry, I'm a terrible host-"

"No, no!" I insist, interrupting. "Honestly, I was only looking," I say, rather embarrassed. She laughs.

"Well, alright then. I'm, uhh, ready to go." I finally look at her, and it takes all I have not to let my jaw drop.

She wears a navy blue dress with soft ruffles on the bottom and a fitted bodice. It isn't anything terribly fancy, but it's appropriate for our outing today. She has taken her hair of it's pony tail, and it now falls nicely right above her shoulders. She blushes, and sort of twirls.

"Is this okay for what you have in mind? I'm not really sure what you have planned. I was just sort of going by what you were wearing-"

"No, it's perfect," I say, and Veronica's blush deepens.

She locks her apartment door behind her and I give her my arm.

"My, what a gentleman," she teases, but I don't reply. She hooks her arm into mine, and I have a difficult time breathing.

(AN - sorry this chapter is short. I'll see if I can get one more up by the end of today.)