Chapter 9: Meeting the Princess - Again

Imaran laughed. “Well, you are certainly honest, aren’t you?”

Fath cracked an eye open, wincing. “Sire, I didn’t mean to be…”

Imaran sighed. “Fath, I told you, just be honest. If I ask you a question, be truthful. I won’t punish you.”

Fath nodded. “Of course, Sire.”

Imaran grimaced. “Please, call me Imaran. We’re not in a formal setting at the moment.”

Fath blinked, frowning. “Yes, Sir… I mean, Imaran.” He stammered, thrown by Imaran’s kindness.

“Hmm… Now, I believe dinner will be ready soon, and my daughter will want to join us.” He clapped his hands.

A servant appeared at the door, bowing low. “Yes, Sire?”

“Please fetch my daughter, and tell the chef to have our dinner ready.” Imaran waved a hand in dismissal.

The servant bowed again. “Yes, Sire.”

The heavy mahogany doors slammed shut once more, leaving Imaran and Fath to continue their conversation.

***

Yaz burst into the room. Her eyes lit at once upon Fath, who was engaged in an earnest conversation with her father.

Both of them stopped speaking when she came in, turning to see who had interrupted so abruptly.

She smiled at Fath before walking over and giving her father a hug.

Fath watched her with wide eyes.

She felt a surge of triumph at his shock. She liked getting reactions out of him.

What am I thinking? I don’t know anything about him; he lied to me about who he was in the market; he’s not all that trustworthy apparently… She thought. Feeling guilty, she reminded herself of some other things she would sooner look over. He only lied to you about his name after you lied to him about yours. You deserved it. He probably thought you were playing games with him and decided if I could do it, he would too… Only I had a reason to hide my identity; he doesn’t. She turned back to him, smiling. “It is nice to meet you again, Fath.”

He started, looking down and going red. “Sorry about that… I know I didn’t tell you the truth about my name… You know, in the market… But I thought you were playing games, and I thought that I’d play too… Sorry…” He mumbled, growing steadily quieter and tongue-tied.

Yaz grinned. “Don’t worry about it, Fath… I figured that’s what you thought… I’m not really upset.”

He’s adorable with that blush… And I caused it! Yaz gloated. This was going to be fun.

***

“So, Fath… You say you just got a job?” Imaran inquired.

“Yes, sir.” Fath responded, swallowing a mouthful of food before speaking.

Imaran nodded. “Good, good! What do you do?”

Fath shrugged, playing with the food on his plate. “Oh, stuff…”

Yaz gave him a sly look. “Stuff?”

Imaran wanted to laugh. His daughter had wheedled more information out of Fath tonight than he had. And she was showing no sign of leaving the poor man alone.

Fath cleared his throat, glancing up at her. “Yes… You know… Just whatever I can get. I don’t specialize in anything.”

She raised an eyebrow at him.