Chapter 23: Courting - Or Not

When Fath rode up to the palace entrance on a palanquin, the guards stared at him, unsure what to do with the man standing before them.

“I am here to see the Sultan.” Fath announced.

The guards bowed to him, thinking him one of the rich nobles. “Sir, we will put your request for an audience through to the Sultan. May we inquire as to who you are?”

“You may tell him that Fath Shah is here to speak with him. He should know who I am.” Fath responded, waving his hand at them in an attempt to behave as though he hadn’t lived his whole life a peasant, barely making ends meet.

How did one act rich? Was one required to strut about, behaving pompous and grand as he had seen passing nobles do in the market? He had no idea.

The guards gave him a nod. “Of course, sir.”

One of them walked off to go and inform the Sultan that someone had come for an audience – an important one, by the looks of it.

***

Fath waited for fifteen minutes before the guard came back, bowing and delivering the Sultan’s message. “His Majesty says that he shall see you now, sir. Right this way.”

Fath disembarked from the palanquin, waving off the servants carrying it.

It had been a week since Akila had created his palace and helped him to hire servants, also furnishing him with an inexhaustible sum of money to pay them and buy the necessary clothing and accessories needed to impress the Sultan and his daughter.

Now he was here, ready to speak with the Sultan about his offer to allow Fath to court his daughter.

***

The guard showed Fath into the large audience chamber, but the grand, vaulted ceilings and carved throne with the elegant tapestries and Aramaic rugs ceased to cause any awe on Fath’s part.

After all, was not his palace equally grand? It might even be grander, now that he considered it.

“Fath!” The Sultan greeted.

“My lord.” Fath bowed low.

“Now, now… Remember what I said last time you came? No titles unless we are in public. And this is certainly a private setting.” Imaran grinned at Fath, walking to him and giving him a clap on the back. “So, you are back from your mysterious travels and fortune raising?” Imaran took in Fath’s gold-threaded jacket and jeweled slippers, as well as the turban upon his head and the emerald ring he wore – a gift from Akila, whose favorite gems were emeralds.

Fath nodded. “I am, indeed, Imaran. I have come into a great deal of wealth, and wish to court your daughter now that I have the means to support her should I wed her.”

Imaran smiled. “You are a responsible man, Fath. I am pleased to allow you to court my daughter, but only if she will give her approval. If she does not wish you to court her, you must concede to her wishes.”

Fath grinned. “Of course, sir! May I speak with her now, then?”

Imaran stroked his short, black beard. “Hmm…” He cocked his head, gazing out the window. “I believe…” He paused.

Fath held his breath.

“I believe that she is with her cousin, Cemal. He just returned from a task he needed to complete.” Imaran turned back to Fath. “The two are quite close and fond of each other. But I think that you could speak with her. I will send for her to meet you in the courtyard, if you do not mind waiting for her there. I wil have a servant take you while someone fetches Yaz.”