Chapter 24: Princess and the Assassin - Right

Yaz smiled at Cemal.

Cemal glared at her. "I'm not going."

"Please, Cemal."

"I do not want to meet the man who came asking to court you. He's probably still trying to win you." Cemal muttered.

Yaz huffed. "He is not. He's just a friend. I made that very clear. Besides, he can't force me to say yes to his wish to court me, so you are obsessing and agonizing over nothing, Cemal."      

He glared at her. "No. I won't go. I'll eat dinner up here in my room."

Yaz sighed. "Please..." She pleaded.

He looked at the floor, arms crossed. He hated saying no to Yaz. He always had. He loved her too much to deny her something so small.

"He really wanted to meet you. He told me so." Yaz murmured, walking to stand behind him and wrapping arms around his waist.

He groaned. "You aren't going to give up, are you?"

She shook her head, resting it on his back.

He rolled his eyes, sighing. "Fine. I'll go. But I Better not regret it, and if that sot has the nerve to..."

She cut him off by moving her arms up around his chest and giving a brief squeeze. "He wouldn't do that." She murmured.

Cemal grunted, unconvinced. "If you say so."

She let go of him, moving back. "I will see you tonight then at eight. They're arriving then, so be down there to greet them in a polite fashion." She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "And Cemal?"

"What?"

"No repeats of the last dinner we had."

"I don't have any idea what you're talking about." He replied, voice stiff.

Yaz gave him a mock glare. "You know full well what I'm speaking of. Recall the young man from court - Jadis - that came for dinner? He wanted to court me, remember?"

Cemal glared at her. "No."          

She could tell he did. Folding her arms, she raised an eyebrow at him. "Maybe this will jog your memory. You showed up late because you visited the kitchens to slip that lizard into Jadis's dish, which was supposed to hold rice. Ringing any bells?" She teased.

In reality, she had been thrilled with Cemal for that stunt with Jadis because it had chased the pompous, pushy beast off. But she valued her budding friendship with Fath and didn't want Cemal pulling anymore stunts focused on chasing people off.

He sighed. "Fine. I remember, love, and for your sake, I won't play any nasty surprises on your guest." He pulled her into his arms, brushing a piece of hair out of her face and kissing her.

She pulled back, smiling. "Hmm. You'd better not." She teased.

He kissed her again. "I give you my word. No nasty tricks."

She smiled up at him.

He grinned at her, going to kiss her again, but she leaned back, smirking at him.

"Tease." He growled accusatorially.

"Indeed I am." She laughed, wriggling out of his grasp and heading for the door.

But Cemal was there before she was, stopping her from escaping, a devious look on his face.

Yaz glared up at him. "Cemal!"

He only smirked, crossing his arms and refusing to budge.

She let out a shriek as he suddenly dived towards her and fled to his bath chamber, intending to lock herself in and wait until he left - if he left.