Chapter 26: Visitations

“I don’t know that you should go…” Imaran stared out the window, eyes distant as he answered Yaz’s question.

“But Father… Please… I told Fath that…”

Her father cut her off with a wave of his hand. “We just found out that Fath was working with that traitor, Hashim, Yaz… And you want to take a tour of his house and spend the day with him at the market and who knows where else?” He sighed, running a hand through his dark hair. “I don’t think that is a good idea at all.”

She looked at the floor, biting her lip. “Father, Fath is a good man. He didn’t know. Surely you could see he knew nothing from his reaction?”

“Either that, or he’s a really good actor.” Cemal huffed behind her, his close proximity and warm breath on her neck causing tingles to shoot down her spine.

“What is with you two?” Yaz hissed. “You do not even give the man a benefit of the doubt! You both could be wrong, but you never stop to consider that perhaps he is innocent and you made an error.” She sniffed, tears coming to her eyes. “He’s not in league with Hashim. I know it… I just… I just do.” She turned, running from the room and heading for her room.

***

Cemal sighed. “I should go after her. Sire, if I may… Perhaps we should go. I will be at her side every moment, and we might glean useful information from visiting him.”

Imaran shook his head, a rueful smile on his face. “With the both of you – my princess and my royal assassin – teamed up together, I don’t stand a chance, do I?”

Cemal shrugged. “Depends… But I don’t want to spend the rest of the week with her in a bad mood, so… no.”

Imaran sighed. “Very well. You two may go. But only if you promise not to leave her side, Cemal. I don’t care what it takes. You have to be with her every second she’s there.” Imaran waved a hand at his nephew. “Every second. Got it?”

Cemal raised an eyebrow.

Seeing Imaran’s irritated look, he nodded, swallowing hard. Despite his reputation, he was still beholden to the Sultan, and if he didn’t show the proper respect, he could still be punished. Cemal knew he wasn’t invincible. “I understand, Sire.”

“Good… And for pity’s sake. Stop calling me Sire. We’re in private, boy… You’re like a son to me.” Imaran sighed.

“Very well, father.”

Imaran’s lips twitched into a smile. “Don’t tease… I could still punish you.”

Cemal made a face, rolling his eyes.

Imaran laughed. “You and Yaz… So similar. She does exactly that when I tell her I can still punish her…”

Cemal smirked. “I can imagine.”

“Besides…” Imaran looked down at the floor then back up at his nephew. “You might find yourself as my son sooner than you think.” He smirked back at Cemal.