10

"Hey Sarge. How are you feeling" Grossman asked poking his head in the doorway. Joe looked up and gave a weak smile. "Better. Thanks for asking Grossman"
      Grossman walked the rest of the way into the office and sat down making the sergeant look up. "Uh... something you needed?" He asked.      
      "Oh, no. I just thought it was strange that you and Harlan are here today. I would have thought the hospital, since you two were as exposed to the blast as jon, would have kept you overnight for observation and then ordered you stay home. You see-"
      "Grossman!" Getraer interupted, "Spare me, huh? And Harlan isn't here today. He's home resting because he can't work with a broken arm." Grossy gave him a confused look; his mouth opened slightly. Joe sighed, "Now what?" "I just saw Harlan outside in the garage. He had his tools so I assumed he was working..."
      Getraer furrowed his brows before quickly exiting the office with Grossman hot on his heels. He stood with his hands on his hips once they got outside.
      Harlan had his arm in a dark blue sling, but sure enough, he was working on a black and white.
      "Harlan!" Joe called advancing on the mechanic. Harlan paused in his work to look before dropping his head. "Harlan what are you doing here? You're supposed to be taking days off! You can't work with a broken arm" Harlan remained quiet and twirled a wrench in his hand.
      Sergeant Getraer suddenly realized there was something troubling him. "Hey, you know you're part of our CHP family right?" He said gently. Arliss looked up and glanced briefly at Arte. Joe followed his gaze.
      "Uh Grossman" he said clearing his throat and motioning with his head for him to leave. However, Grossy continued to stand and wait for what the sergeant had to say. "Yeah sarge?" Joe adjusted his position impatiently. "Leave Grossman!"
      Arte gasped realizing what he meant. "Oh... yeah, right, I have to do... something... that thing... I should call Jon. Bye Harlan." Harlan waved half-heartedly.
      Joe leaned against the wall as he got up and absently rummaged around his tool box. "You're awfully quiet. What's wrong?"
      Harlan sighed and shook his head. "What isn't wrong, Sergeant? Did you know he was aiming at me?"
      Joe shook his head. "Certainly not at the time, no. I did find out later of course. But hey, don't worry. They're reopening the case of Erika's father and already searching for this guy. We have extra patrols going out and people standing guard here. You're gonna be extra safe from now on."
       "That's not what I'm worried about!" Harlan exclaimed. "It was all my fault! I froze! I could have gotten my rear end out of the way all on my own but I froze, making Erika pay the price!"
      "Harlan... it's a natural response to freeze; especially if you're not trained. And if you had moved, you'd a been shot!"
       "Better me than her. Heh, guess it's a good thing I didn't become a cop.  You know, Erika is my best friend. She treats me like I really matter. Like I'm a part of this team. She's even helped me in the garage on her breaks. When I first met her, she told me us short guys had to stick together... well I've proved that I'm just great at that"
       Joe shook his head as the mechanic got back to work, which was slow going with only one hand. The sergeant took the tool away and worked under the hood himself while he talked. "Listen, don't beat yourself up about it because it wasn't your fault. You can't blame yourself for what this maniac's done"
      Harlan calmed down a little. "Baker said that to her a lot" Joe slowed as he listened. "He's going to be crushed if she doesn't make it" "We'll all be" Getraer replied closing the hood and giving back the wrench before walking away.
      "Hey sergeant" Harlan called. He turned. "Can I... can I keep working. It takes my mind off of things"
Sarge nodded. "Of course... because that's what I intend to do"