Chapter 23: That Is Not My Mother

Symphony walked up the stone path to Sabertooth after completing her first mission. She was only gone three days, but the awkwardness she felt was still present. Her feelings were conflicting with herself.  She was grateful for Sting and his actions and wanted to be with him. But at the same time she could not intrude on the life he had before her, she felt envious of Juvia's relationship with Sting.

She stopped on the steps to let out broken sobs.

"Symphony?"

She turned to see Lector flying down the path with his little sister, Bipolar. "Oh, hello Lector, how are you?"

"What happened with you?"

"I'm just... you know, flustered a bit, I didn't mean to make you worry!" Symphony wailed "I'm sorry!"

Lector gave a sigh and turned to his sister "I've got this"

He flew up to her face and calmly slapped her across the face "Do not cry for no man! He should be crying for you!"

"You're right! He should" Symphony sobbed and swallowed her tears.

"Lector...you crazy" Bipolar sighed.

"No that's you, hence your name, duh"

"Dis end gonna be bad" Bipo warned her brother.

"How? I'm only building up her confidence here!" Lector defended "Right Symphony?....Symphony?"

While the two cats held a healthy discussion, Symphony was already up the steps to the guild and slammed the doors open. She walked straight up to Sting and bitch slapped him.

"Cry for me you fool!" Symphony demanded.

She panted from exhaustion as everyone stared, confused. Even she was lost on why she did that.

"Hey Sym', you doing good?" Sting cautiously asked.

"No" she fell down into a chair, breathing heavily.

"How was your job?" Juvia asked trying to lessen the tension.

"Good, I made about 500 jewels, that's enough for an apartment here right?"

Everyone living in the housing tensed.

"Well, five hundred might seem like a lot, if I were to say five hundred books but in terms of money in Fiore at least, that could get you a glass of water at a cheap diner. I'd shoot for 600.000 jewels if you want to live in the guild" Levy explained.

"So I only have to the job about five more times?" Symphony asked honestly.

Everyone within an ear shot sighed.

"They don't teach math in the ocean do they?" Sting gulped.

"Or economics..." Juvia sighed. Now on the subject, she turned to Symphony curiously "How was the ocean by the way? Juvia always wanted to spend some time there but never had the time"

"What do you mean by that?" She asked since the subject was far to vague for an answer.

"You know, did you live with your parents? Did you go to school? Or did you just swim with the fish all day, spill" Levy asked.

Symphony turned pink "The ocean...has plants"

"Just like land! Amazing"  someone randomly yelled.

"Levy!Juvia!" Yukino called from the door "Someone is here to see you two!"

Levy grabbed her crutch and held on to Juvia's arm as they got closer to the front entrance, with people anxious to see who could be there for them. A visitor for those two could only mean excitement.