32 | THREATS

"One day someone is going to hug you so tight that all of your  broken peices will stick back together."

[32]

I'VE BEEN GIVEN the strength to survive from a handful amount of people in my life. Friends are the family that you are given by choice, not force.

For weeks now I've been ignoring David and I can see how annoyed he has been getting. Well, guess what, Asshole? I've moved on.

He has been nothing but the darkness of my life. Actually, scratch that. That whole family has been that constant darkness in my life. I had nothing and yet they thought I was still a spoilt brat that got everything. They thought – think I'm the reason my parents died in that crash.

And the saddest thing about this? They still don't know the whole story.

"I can't believe that it's been flippin' three weeks since that asshole came back to fucking haunt you!" Lily yells into my ear. Frightened, I jump causing my chicken wrap to be lodged down my throat. I cough up the remaining chicken and nod my head in agreement.

"I know," I whisper in disbelief, my eyes filled with water from before. Lily grins at me and nods her head eagerly.

"And..." she drawls, "It's been three weeks since you and Adam have begun dating!" She screams happily, jumping up and down. I smile at Lily and laugh.

"So much has changed..." I mutter quietly. Lily – Who somehow has super hearing abilities – nods her head and begins dancing on one foot.

I eye her weirdly and laugh when she begins to do another mini dance, shaking her butt in circles and receiving weird glances from the students passing by. I laugh even harder and hold my stomach as I watch my friend dance ridiculously.

"What would I do without you, Lily?" I ask through gasps of air. Lily shakes her head and stops her dancing.

"Honestly Isabelle, I have no fucking idea..."

-

I feel a warm hand press against my lower back and I shiver in delight. Adam snakes his arms around my waist as I turn around in his arms, my own hands wrapping themselves around his neck.

"Why, hello, Isabelle Thompson," he whispers huskily into my ear. I grin at him and pull him into a hug.

"Hello, Adam Black," I murmur back. Adam grins and presses his warm lips against my forehead. I smile back at him and grab onto his hand, pulling him to our next class, English.

"How's everything with fucking David Greenhill?" Adam asks through gritted teeth. I shrug my shoulders and open my mouth to say something.

"It's really weird, to be honest. He seems to have stopped messing with me and now I'm getting this really bad feeling that some shit is about to hit the fan," I mutter. Adam stops walking and turns to look at me.

"Nothing's going to happen to you, Isabelle," Adam says and grabs both my cheeks with his hands.

"Adam," I start, looking into his eyes. "He may not do something to me though. He might hurt someone else – you, he might even hurt you."

Adam shrugs his shoulders and smirks. "Nah, he's too weak for that, Isabelle," he says. I nod my head in agreement before turning on my heels and walking to class.

"We'll see, Adam..."

-

All eyes turn on me as I enter the student courtyard and I fiddle under their intense gaze. Lily walks next to me silently, her eyes too, looking everywhere.