Chapter 5: A Meeting in Hogsmeade

Lily-Anne stares out of the window in front of the large clock, looking outside at all the people gathering in front of the gates to go to Hogsmeade. Filch is standing in front of it, holding a large stick to check whether the students had anything illegal on them. She looks at everyone and then focusses on Harry, Ron and Hermione. It had been a couple of weeks since they had met in de corridors on the sixth floor, after that she hadn't talked to them again. She stares at all the people gathering in front of Filch, not moving a muscle. Then she hears footsteps behind her and someone who stops right next to her.

'Where were you during the Quidditch match.'

Without looking up, Lily-Anne had started a conversation with the person who had just emerged beside her, who is now looking a little stunned, but he quickly regains his senses.

'I had a broken wrist, I was with madame Pomfrey.'

Lily-Anne still doesn't look up, but she scoffs loudly.

'We both know your wrist was not broken last week.'

Now Draco looks up and Lily-Anne follows his example.

'Draco, please, I know you. You can tell me everything, remember?'

Draco nods, but then changes his mind and shakes his head. Lily-Anne sees it and gently takes Draco's hand, who looks at it for a while.

'If you want to talk, I'll always be there.'

Draco nods again, still staring at the intertwined hands, then he pulls loose.

'Just not now, I'll only get you into danger.'

He looks up, tears burning in his eyes, the pressure had returned, Lily-Anne could clearly see it. He hadn't slept in days, that was also visible. She is so absorbed in her attempt to read in Draco's eyes what was happening in his head, that she is startled when Draco softly touches her cheek.

'Please Lily, I'll be fine, don't worry.'

He leans in and kisses Lily-Anne on the mouth. Lily-Anne returns the kiss, when they pull away, Lily-Anne turns her expression into a smile, slightly returned by Draco. Lily-Anne knew better, this was the pressure placed on Draco by Voldemort, the pressure was the reason she was a Death Eater. Voldemort had wanted another protector for the boy to make sure he'd remain loyal, but to Lily-Anne, this protection was more than needed to keep Draco alive. As one mind they both turn to walk away from the window, their fingers again interlace and they walk down the stairs, to the courtyard, where most of the people are now gone. Draco releases Lily-Anne's hand before they can approach Filch though. Lily-Anne looks back, surprised at Draco's action.

'Draco, why are you not coming?'

Draco looks down, but then up again at Lily-Anne.

'I am sorry Lily, but I have detention in ten minutes.'

Lily-Anne nods.

'All right.'

She wasn't going to ask questions, it was not up to her to start guessing what was going on in Draco's life, though she was dying to know, just so she could understand his behaviour better. She turns around and glances back one last time before she approaches Filch, who checks her with his large stick, with a filthy grin plastered on his face like always. Mrs. Norris is strolling past his legs, looking up with her bright red eyes, as if she is trying to turn Lily-Anne inside out with just her look. Then Filch steps aside and Lily-Anne walks past him. It was in fact a good thing that Draco was not coming with her, since today was the day she was going to meet Fred Weasley in The Three Broomsticks. Fred had written her back within a day, which meant to her that her was really persistent in him wanting to meet her. With her long black dress on and a long cloak with a big hood rimmed with black fur, she calmly walks the bridge that leads from Hogwarts to Hogsmeade. When she enters the little village, she sees various people she recognizes as classmates. She swiftly passes them all and enters The Three Broomsticks, where she has to hide her face from Harry, Ron and Hermione, who are also sitting in the cafe. She looks around for a while, her head hidden under her hood, when she notices a red haired figure in a darker corner, looking around. He clearly doesn't want to be seen by his little brother, since he is sitting a long way away from them both and doesn't seem to be looking for attention from either of them. When his eyes fall on Lily-Anne however, who has put down her hood and is now looking straight at him, he smiles widely. He had been waiting for this moment, he didn't know why, but this girl was different from all the others he had ever met. She was honest, grounded and not one to easily appreciate jokes, but she did like the shop, which meant she had a sense of humor somewhere, or either really liked it, but would never even think of performing a joke herself. He just wanted to see her again, talk to her again, maybe she would feel the same way about him. He steps from behind the table and smiles widely at Lily-Anne, who also approaches him, but not smiling as widely.