Chapter 11: Epiphany

The week after her N.E.W.T., Lily-Anne is sitting in the Great Hall, reading her Transfigurations book. O.W.L.S were coming up and she was nervous. Where she had had no worries about her Potions N.E.W.T., all her other exams frightened her. She was just an average student, nothing special, the way she liked it, but that did mean that she had to study like crazy to actually pass. Draco was still in the Hospital Wing and was going to be there until the end of the year were it up to Madame Pomfrey. She was going to go to him after her study session, but she needed to study first before she could go see him, she had been so distracted by Draco's condition that she had barely studied before today, so to pass she needed to start right now, and preferably even before that. When she is done with her final chapter, she closes the book and wants to leave the Great Hall, when a lonely owl flies through the window, holding a letter in his beak. Lily-Anne puts her bag down and has to catch the letter that fell from the beak of the owl, who immediately turns around and leaves again. Lily-Anne looks at the letter, who she expected to be addressed to someone else, she wasn't expecting any letters, not even Fred Weasley's, ever since their last meeting in Hogsmeade, he had stopped writing, he had given up. To Lily-Anne that should have been a relieve, but she was missing his annoying owl coming through the window of the Great Hall during breakfast, or Hagrid standing behind her with his large bag filled to the rim with letters and handing her one of those letters with the to her so well known curly handwriting. When she sees her name spelled out on the front of the letter in that very same handwriting, her heart jumps a little, he had written her, at last. How can you think this Lily, you have a boyfriend, someone who really needs you, you have Draco, why would you want to be happy when you see the handwriting of someone as despicable as Fred Weasley? She ignores all her thoughts and turns the letter around to open it, and is surprised to find writing on there as well.

Trust me, it is worth the read. Don't burn it without reading.

Lily-Anne smiles, her words had come through, even though they had been lies, Fred didn't know that. She opens the letter and notices several pieces of parchment, she sees the scratches that had been made, making some parts hardly legible. She sits down again at the table, only a few meters away from where she sat to study, there was nobody else in the Great Hall, so nobody would judge her for her actions. With her bag at her feet, where the ink and feather she got from Fred the day he had written her for the first time, had been all this time, she reads.

Dear Lily, Lily-Anne (How may I call you),

This will be the final letter I ever write to you, after you have read these final pieces of parchment that I wasted on you, I will disappear from your life forever, like I was never there.

I write this letter from a different side of myself, a side I didn't know existed, but you have made me aware of it. It is the side of a hopeless romantic, and though I have never been one and I still despise everything that has to do with marriage, I have gotten to know the romantic parts of myself because of you. Allow me to tell you every moment I spend with you and waiting for you in the past 8 months and 24 days.

When I first met you, you intrigued me, you were different, dressed completely in black you weren't the girl I expected to feel the way I felt about you. I instantly drowned in those black and green eyes of yours and it took be a while to regain my senses. When you left, I wanted to see your face again, talk to you, know more about you than just your name. All I knew at the time was that and I remembered that you were the girl whose father was always to busy, so you were staying with Professor Snape. I wrote to you as soon as I could and send my owl to Spinner's End, though I have no idea where it is exactly, I did know it was the house of the professor, he would get the letter through to you, I was sure of that. Maybe it was foolish to think that, it might have gone completely different, but it turned out to be fine and you wrote me back. All I could do was smile when I read your letter.