Prolouge

I nestled into my mothers fur as I looked up to see her smile. She licked my ear softly as I adjusted my paws.

"Where are we going today?" I questioned as my puppy voice squeaked, making my mother smile.

"We are going to head to our winter den, up in the mountains." she explained as I wagged my tail and barked happily.

---

After we had our meat from the hunt before, we finally headed towards our winter den. I looked around at the flowers as they started to close, the white petals still illuminated in the daytime sun, but I knew winter was coming. As the meadow below us became smaller and smaller, I knew we were close.

As we made our way into the den my tail wagged uncontrollably as my mouth watered from the sight of the huge mountain of meat on this large deer. It was irresistible and my mouth took a huge bite out of it as I smiled, about to take another bite as my mother scolded.

"Ariss, that has to last us a whole winter..." My mothers soothing words echoed through the walls of the cave.

"Okay.." I said with my ears pinned back and walked over towards my mother.

What happened after this will never be the same.

---

My body was heavy due to being asleep after the long, tiring walk. I opened my soft yellow eyes as I yawned. Looking at my mother who just nudged me awake. 

"Yes mother?" I asked, as she had a face of worry.

"Shhhh, we're being hunted.." she spoke softly as I nodded, pointing my ears back.

"How do you know?" I questioned, this time whispering.

"Because I heard a gunshot.." she said as I flinched, hearing another.

"Are they after us?" I wondered as I looked outside, noticing a winter storm moving into the area.

The sky was pitch black, the new snow was coming down at an ever increasing speed. I closed my eyes, as I didn't know what was exactly happening. I noticed the wind was blowing fast and against the trees. I saw something shiny walk towards us.

"I don't know, but were moving if they are," my mothers voice broke my concentration. I heard the snow crunch from the hunters walking up the mountains. "Ariss, I need you to listen to me very carefully."

"Yes?"  I said confused.

"When I say go, I want you to bolt towards the meadow. I don't want you to stop until you hit the Domed city. Keep using your human illusion and never lose it," she explained quite fast, giving me a minute to understand everything. I nodded letting it sink in.  "Change, Now!" She yelled as I showed my human illusion and bolted out the door, holding my arm as if I got injured. I looked behind to see my mother bolted towards the meadow, the hunter's bullets unloaded into her body. I heard the painful whine of my mom, which made me flinch and I almost turned back to see her, but I knew I would also get shot.

Once I was out of the clear, I fell to my knees and let the tears stream down my face. My mother was dead and it was my fault. I could've saved her, I could've fought back.  I put my hands over my face as I saw the storm was still raging. I looked to see the faint lights of the Domed city ahead.

I decided then and there, I would never allow myself to show my wolf form. I would live normally, not risking my life for anyone.