Chapter Five

I slowly opened my eyes as I stretched myself out. I looked over to see the sun rise over the horizon. A smile came to my face as I saw Hige wake up.

"Morning, Hige." I said with a slight smile.

"What do you want?" He said, annoyed.

"Man, your in a great mood.." I replied as he groaned.

"What do you want anyways?"

"I don't know, I thought I would get to know everyone some how.." I replied, knowing I was going to be with these guys for the entire journey, I thought I would be nice to him.

"Oh.....well..."  He said, shocked at what I had said, and obviously he has no idea what to say at the moment.

"You okay? Hige?" I asked, looking at him for a moment.

"Yeah, I was just surprised."

"At what?" 

"That you would be nice to me.." He said as I smiled.

"No, that's Codi who you should be worried about." I said with a slight laugh.

"Oh yeah. Her and Tsume are such a weird couple."

"Dude don't go into conclusions, she or he will beat you up so bad-."

"Okay, Okay. You know what, for a girl your not so bad." He admitted as I smiled.

"Thanks.." I said as we both started laughing.

"You are one strange wolf." I pointed out as he shook his head.

"I try." He said simply as we walked into the train station. The place didn't look like it was open yet, but I could hear humans talking about something, but I didn't think much of it. I perked my ears up at the smell of both Toboe and Tsume, who had run off last night. Hige stood over Tsume and Toboe as I stood to the side of him. No one spoke a word, but you could tell there were silent words. We all were broken out of our gaze as a crack of a whip was heard.

"The hell?" I said under my breath as we all walked to the edge of the railing that stood between us and the horrifying sight below.

The smell of humans was choking. I managed to cover my nose, but even Hige couldn't stand it. The smell of sweaty almost dead wolves also was in the mix. This was beyond a horror sight. I looked over to see the same man from before. 

"What is this?" Tsume yelled as the wolf just stood there. "Answer me!!" Tsume demanded as the wolf spoke.

"Work." He said bluntly as I could feel the anger both off of Tsume and off of Hige.

"Work? They are slaves!!" Hige said as I turned back to the wolves.

My body was shaking, partly from fear and the other part from anger. The part that bothered me the most was the fact that this wolf, who I assumed was the leader, is doing nothing to stop it.

"Why aren't you stopping this?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

"Because it's more peaceful this way." He started. "We work for them, they feed us. It's as simple as that." He explained as my fists shook.

"This isn't peace-"

"Aliyah, stop." Hige said, putting a hand on my shoulder, oddly calming me down. Tsume and I looked at him. "Give it up, he's not going to stop this." Hige finished as my eyes glanced over to see the Old Man start to lose pace.

"Old Man!" Hige said, gripping onto the pole separating us from them.

I watched in horror as the Old Man tried desperately to get back up and keep up with the other wolves, but it was no use, he was unable to return to his feet. My body stopped shaking and was quickly replaced by sadness. I looked down on the side and saw Kiba standing there.