Chapter Four

We finally made it out of that blizzard, and like before, we kept running. I don't know if it was instinct or if Kiba really knew where we were going, but it seemed as if the world was never ending.

I mean shouldn't we be close to an ocean by now? I smell seawater...

This reminded me of a story my mom used to tell me about how wolves made their way to Paradise.

- - -

"Ariss, come here." My mom said as I quickly trotted over to her.

"Yes, mom?" My puppy voice squeaked a bit as a smile curved onto her lips. I nestled into her warm, white fur as I let my tail curl up against my paws.

"Do you want to hear a story?"

"Sure." I said as my mom nodded for her to start.

"Have you heard the other wolves talk about a place called, Paradise?" My mom asked as I nodded.

"Yeah, I've heard they talk about it a couple of times, especially Zali. What do you ask?"

"Because, I wanted you to hear the full story. It's a journey every wolf eventually takes. I want you to attempt to get there down the road. Try to find a pack that is as willing as you are, and make your way to Paradise."

"I will, but I have one question."

"Anything." She spoke as she licked my fur lightly.

"Did you?"

"Did I what?"

"Try to get to paradise?" I asked as my mother smiled.

"I tried along with your father, but he disappeared and I haven't seen him since." She paused as I took in a deep yawn. "You should get some sleep." She said as I nodded and lowered my head to my paws as sleep took over.

- - -

"That scent." Kiba said as we all slowly crept to the edge of the cliff and it revealed the ocean. A huge bridge extended from the shore as a smile came on to my face, along with the others.

"Oh, my, god, is that the ocean?" I questioned as Codi and the rest of the pack had the same reaction.

"Let's go." Kiba said as we jumped down and followed the bridge.

- - -

We had been walking for a while now. At least the train doesn't come through a lot

"How long do you think we have been walking?" Codi asked as I shrugged.

"Who knows.." I responded turning my head to smell a faint scent. "Wait, is that?"

"Come on guys." Kiba caught on as he started running towards the city which now came into view.

We finally stopped at the edge of the city as we looked around. Curiously, Kiba was at the lead, along with Hige and Toboe, Codi and I staggered in the middle as Tsume took up the back.

"This looks deserted." Hige pointed out as I nodded in agreement.

We walked through the town as I looked around as Kiba stopped abruptly.

"Huh?" Codi said, almost asleep.

Kiba instantly looked over at the people in the alley. One second they were humans, the next they were wolves.

"Wolves." A tall man spoke as another female came to his side. "I haven't seen strays through her in a while." His deep voice echoed as Kiba spoke.