Chapter 5

After a few minutes the couple arrived to where Papyrus was meeting the child. By the time they got there however the child was already there. Sans and Serenity both hid in the trees next to the two and watched with worry as the two talked. “Can you hear what they’re saying?” Sans whispered. Serenity shook her head as she tried to move closer to hear them.

          “Human! I think you are in need of guidance! Someone needs to keep you on the straight and narrow! But I, Papyrus, will gladly be your friend and tutor!” Papyrus exclaimed. Serenity gave a frown as she listened looking back at Sans. Sans walked up behind her hugging her waist from behind as he started to listen also.

          “I see you are approaching. Are you offering a hug of acceptance?” Papyrus asked the child as he held up his arms.

          “Bro get out of there” Sans mumbled watching the scene.

          As soon as the child had gotten close enough, they sent knife right through Papyrus’ sternum. Sans and Serenity went wide eyed starting at them. As Papyrus’ body turned to dust Serenity turned in Sans’ arms and buried her face in his shoulder tears making their way to her eyes. Sans kept her close tears coming to his eyes also.

          “W-well, that’s not what I expected….but…st…till, I believe in you. Y-You can do a little better, even if you don’t think so. I-I promise” and then his head turned to dust while the child continued on his way without any remorse as to what they have done.

          Once the child was gone the couple ran over to Papyrus’ scarf. Sans grabbed it in his hand holding it to his face as he cried. “I’m sorry Papyrus” he choked out “I should have been here to protect you” Serenity looked in the direction where the child had disappeared in and tensed up.

          “S-Sans….I know where I’ve seen that child” she mumbled starting to shake.

          “Where?” he growled looking back at her with his right eye a fiery blue. She tensed even more and backed away from him slightly.

          “My nightmare a few months back” she mumbled looking away. Sans gave a sigh that was dripping with anger as he stood and hugged her tightly. She started to cry into his shoulder gripping his jacket tightly as she did.

          “That brat is going to pay for what he’s done” he growled hugging her even tighter. The two stood there for what seemed like hours mourning over Papyrus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          That night the two sat on the couch in silence. Serenity was hugging her arms tightly looking at the ground to try and keep from crying again. Sans on the other hand was looking towards the kitchen with blue tears in his eyes. Almost as if he expected his brother to come out with his normal grin and loud voice telling them that the spaghetti was done, but he never came out. He gave a sigh and stood up “I’m going to warn Undyne and the others” he told Serenity breaking the silence.

          “C-Can I go?” she asked looking up at him wiping away tears that had formed in her eyes.

          “I….don’t know doll” he gave a sigh looking over at her “It’ll be safer for you here”

          “I don’t care about being safe Sans” she told him standing up “I want to help get this kid too, a-and I don’t want you getting hurt either” she mumbled grabbing his hands gently as she recalled what happened in her nightmare.

          “Nothing is going to happen to me Serenity” he grabbed her chin making her look at him “I promise”

          “I don’t care Sans, I’m going with you” she told him.

          “Serenity, I don’t want to lose you too” he told her tears spilling over as he looked at her. “I can’t lose you too….”

          “You’re not going to Sans” she told him placing a hand on his cheek “I promise” Sans just gave a sigh and looked down before slowly nodding. With that the two walked out and with help from Sans, made it to Waterfall in little to no time at all.