23

"Too. Much. Way. Too. Much."

"Well now you can change out of your uniform sometimes. And I need you to try on two dresses." Says Jazzy before she takes a sip of her soda. I ended up getting a cole. I didn't feel up for a milkshake.

"I own dresses. They're at my grandparents. Family events. They may personally be disgusted by me but I still have to be there."

"They aren't disgusted by you. And I think you'll like these dresses more." My phone starts ringing and I check the college ID.

"I'll be right back." I say, leaving the table that they met me at.

"Hello?"

"Elena, Elizabeth just quit and we need someone to work her shift. Dave is in Canada, Sarah's daughter is sick, and Isaac is at his second job." George, the book store manager says.

"Um-"

"Please. I don't want to close the store four hours early and I have to get to New Hampshire."

"Okay. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thanks."

"See you soon." I walk back in and grab my coat.

"I've gotta work."

"But you work Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays."

"Someones out."

"Well, why don't we go look around and buy some books."

"If you want."
-
"Wow, that's a lot." I say, looking at the stack before me and standing up from my stool.

"Are you doing inventory?"Pippa asks.

"Yep. But now I'm at your service." I say, taking the first book off the stack.

"I meant to ask you how you're doing." She says as I begin to write up the books.

"Fine."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." I'm quick and give her back her change.

"I'll see you later."

"Yeah."

"Bye."
-
"Morning." Lin says, seeing me in the hall as I make my way back to my room.

"Morning." I reply before we pass each other.

"Need a ride?" He calls back as I walk in and he continues down the hall.

"I'm good, thanks."

"Okay. I'm making breakfast." He says getting further away. Answering him now wouldn't work because we're too far apart. I shut the door and change into a pleated skirt, leggings, and a polo shirt. I put on my blue tie slide my feet into my shoes, and put my hair in a braid, grabbing my blazer as I make my way to the kitchen.

"Morning." He says as I put it on the back of a chair.

"Morning." He puts some eggs on my plate as I sit down and thank him.

"So. Whatchya got today?"

"Um, a history presentation, a latin test, and a vocabulary quiz."

"You take Latin."

"And Russian."

"Why not any Spanish?"

"I passed the Honors Spanish exam and received the credits for the class. I want to do the same with French but I have less experience with it and I don't take it in school anymore."

"Anything else?"

"No." I say laughing. "Just sign language."

"No Chinese, Mandarin, or Italian?" He says, sarcastically, pretending what I know is not enough.

"Nope."

"After school."

"Debate and then I'm taking Ballet and Jazz. You?"

"Writing, interview, groceries, and more writing."

"What are you working on."

"Can't tell you."

"Oh, come on, please!"

"Nope."

"Pleeeeaaassseee."

"I'll trade you coffee for you're silence." I smile as he hands me a cup and the cover. "I'm actually looking forward to this interview. They always ask the same questions but I'm betting that they'll ask a few different ones." I nod and eat a bite of my scrambled eggs. "They did an interview with me during In the Heights so I've meet some of them." I nod again. "Talk. Just don't ask about what I'm writing."

"But-"

"Lane."

"Okay. Well that sounds good. I look forward to seeing or reading about it. Which is it."

"It'll be written."

"Online?"

"Yes."

"Show me when it's up."

"Will do."

"I have to go. Tell me how it goes and If you change your mind and wanna tell me what you're writing, you can always trust a girl in saddle shoes." I say, standing up and grabbing my blazer and putting it over my polo shirt.

"What about all those bad private school girls." He says and I grab my backpack. I put it in my shoulder and lift up my library book, a copy of The best short stories of Mark Twain. "Never mind." I laugh.

"I'll see you tonight. Thanks for breakfast."

"What time will you bee back."

"Around seven."

"Have a good day."

"You too."