Change of mind (Drarry)

Harry walked down the never ending hallways of Hogwarts patrolling for students out after curfew. Harry hated this part of his job, he loved being able to share his gift of Defense with the kids but getting them in trouble for being out after hours was just not him. Not to mention hypocritical. So he was known to slack off on the job just a bit. He would spend the hours lost in thought instead of searching for kids out of bed.

This night was no exception, so when Harry noticed a figure in the corner he didn't pay much mind. But the closer he got he realized that he probably should have paid more mind to it.

"Hello Potter," a steely voice echoed toward him from that corner.

"Malfoy. What are you doing here? How'd you get in?" Harry rambled, clearly unnerved by Draco's appearance.

Draco laughed, a genuine laugh too, which only stood to further confuse Harry. Draco, finally finished laughing, said," Never you mind why or how I am here, the better question is what are you doing?"

"I'm making my rounds."

"Is that so? To me it looked more like you were wandering aimlessly with a lot on your mind, would you like to talk about it?" Draco replied, too smoothly for Harry's liking.

"And why would I want to talk about it with you?"

"You clearly have no one else."

Harry just sighed and sat himself down cross legged on the floor. Malfoy followed suit before waving Harry on to tell his tale.

"I'm sure you've heard that Ginny and I recently got a divorce?" Harry started almost off hand.

"Actually I had no idea," Draco stated.

"Yes well we did and I am mostly okay with it, there wasn't much love besides the friendly kind between us anymore. It's just well, I'm terrified no one will love me like that again and then there's the kids which is a whole other story. But really just a lot of regret for stretching it out so long when Ginny and I both knew it was over a long time ago."

"Ah well, I'm truly sorry about the divorce and things with the kids, I can't help much there but I do know a thing or two about regrets," Draco said, actually trying to help Harry for once. But Harry should have known it wouldn't last because as soon as the words left Draco's mouth and sunk into Harry's brain, Draco was gone.

However, that wasn't the end of Harry's Draco problem, they continued to find each other in the halls late at night open for deep discussion they were too scared to have with anyone else. Harry didn't know how exactly it happened but he found himself looking for Draco's familiar face and dreaming of the times they'd see each other and talk. But their conversations had moved past just being civil to being friendly and Harry of course rapidly became more and more obsessed with Draco Malfoy.

It shouldn't make sense, it really didn't make sense, but Harry found himself opening up to the blond in ways he'd never opened himself up to anyone before. And Draco found himself constantly thinking of when he'd next see Harry. He even began to share personal things with Harry, most of which he wasn't proud of. But despite what he initially thought, Harry didn't care or hate him for it, he understood. Draco never thought he'd be understood the way Harry understood him which was slightly disconcerting.

Months into this endeavor both men knew there were some things to be addressed and some feelings that they were both a little too proud to admit. On one Thursday night in April, Harry realized what exactly he was feeling for his former nemesis, love. But he knew there was a question he needed to ask Draco before he could completely let himself go to Draco.

"Draco, what made you change your mind, ya know about the war and, and well, me?" Harry stumbled out.

Draco smiled and said," being a ghost does that to a person."