Unexpected (Ginny x Blaise)

Ginny Weasley was not used to not loving Harry Potter. She had loved Harry ever since she met him back when he was a first year. She had hardly known a version of herself that wasn't in some way formed around the Boy-Who-Lived.

But when she had him, it wasn't right, and they both knew that. Harry would rather fantasize about the men in quidditch magazines and Ginny just wanted someone who was real and ordinary and adventurous all at once. She had always thought she would find that in Harry, but it wasn't the case. So only two months into her seventh and his eighth year, they broke it off.

Of course, being a mutual thing, it was easy for them to become close friends. She became his outlet for things he could never dream of telling Ron or even Hermione (mostly things revolving around Harry's gayness). And she confided in him about pretty much everything. She was happy having him as a close friend instead of a boyfriend. Her life, though some of her friends doubted her honesty, was going perfectly. She was happy. Then Headmistress McGonagall had seventh years who wanted and all eighth year  students of all houses hold weekly bonding nights (usually with butterbeer and muggle games) in the hopes of interhouse unity.

At first, she, as well as most of the others, were not keen on the idea. However, they always ended up having a lot of fun. Her and Harry had even begun to mingle with some slytherins, Hermione was still struggling to get Ron to do so as well. But it was nice.

Then came a game of truth or dare in which one Blaise Zabini (she had always found him attractive for someone who was not Harry and also a slytherin) targeted her with every chance. Then towards the end of the game he had dared her to go out to Hogsmead with him the following weekend and of course she wasn't going to back out of a dare. Everyone had been silent and shocked after Ginny said she accepted the dare date.

She hasn't expected to enjoy her date with Blaise, but she did. He was charming and honest and he made her smile brighter than she had in years. After the first date she had spent many hours ranting and raving to Harry that she doubted Blaise saw her as more than a dare, Harry told Ginny he was certain it was more. She didn't quite believe Harry until Blaise approached her about a second date.

Blaise had been shocked she kept accepting his offers, he hadn't pegged Ginny Weasley as someone who would like him. But he was never more happy to be proven wrong. He really liked the Weaslette, as he used to call her. To what extent shocked him thoroughly. Blaise was usually the player that somehow managed to keep them all coming back for more. He was so used to having any girl he wanted to fawn over him while he kept them gladly at arm's length. There was just something about Ginny that made him slowly bring his arm in a little closer, pulling her in instead of pushing her out. It was odd and unexpected but he loved it.

There relationship didn't remain known only by those at the bonding nights for long though, word spread like wildfire after some fourth year ravenclaw saw them holding hands as they roamed the streets of Hogsmead (their third date actually). Even though Blaise preferred his personal life remain personal, he was surprisingly okay with the world knowing he was dating Ginny. About a month into their endeavor they became official and he was proud to call her his girlfriend. Rumors flew on all ends of the spectrum some of his favorites were: "did you hear that Blaise is dating a blood traitor to spite his family" (No, but that is a plus), "I hear Blaise spelled her into dating him" ( his Ginny should really have a talk with those bloody Gryffindors), and "I heard he brought her into his private bedroom quarters in the dungeons to make her his sex slave" ( that is disturbing enough without mentioning it was said by a Hufflepuff). However neither he or Gin payed much mind to the rumors, they were too busy dealing with Ron.

All of the other Weasleys had accepted Blaise with limited resistance claiming they trusted Ginny, not to mention her skills with jinxes and hexes would back her up, but Ron would not stop being a stubborn git saying that Blaise was not to be trusted. Ginny professed to her brother that he didn't have to trust Blaise if Ron only trusted her enough to let Blaise attempt to prove himself. Hermione and Harry agreed with Ginny on this and were giving Blaise a chance. But he could tell it really hurt her that her brother wouldn't do the same.

Ginny was upset with Ron but she knew he'd eventually come around so she kept on pushing threw. And she was rewarded, three months after they became official Blaise surprised her with a romantic dinner and confessed that he loved her. Ginny wishes she could say she rushed to proclaim her love for him too, that is what she felt for him, but that's not what happened. No, she started CRYING and ran away. Of course she found him later on that night to tell him she loved him too and to apologize for running. Blaise just kissed her and said not to worry, he knew she felt the same.

So that's how they ended up here a year later, in the Burrow with all their friends and family on Christmas. Blaise's mom, Draco, Harry, Neville, Luna, Teddy, Hermione and all the Weasleys were spending the holidays together in the warmth of the fireplace and the love they shared for each other. Ginny was nuzzled into Blaise's side on the floor with everyone else surrounding them while Ron watched from the corner, unseen. Ron watched the way Blaise held his baby sister close and the way they looked at each other like the other hung up the moon, he knew what he had to do.

He approached the pair and awkwardly tapped on Blaise's shoulder waving him towards the corner Ron had been occupying. Blaise followed under Ginny's watchful eye, when he and Ron reached the spot he nodded at Ginny and she reluctantly turned around to start a conversation with Hermione, Harry and Draco.

With his hands buried deep in his pockets, Ron began to speak quietly to Blaise, "I reckon I owe you an apology. I know now that you truly love my sister and that as unexpected as this is you will never hurt her. And I may not like you just yet, but I trust you and more importantly Ginny loves you too. I thought you might like to know what I had to say."

"Well Weasley, I know it may be stretching things with your newfound trust a bit, but I need to ask your permission on something important," Blaise grinned, pulling a little velvet box out of his pocket," I want to marry your sister, Ron. And I respect your opinion and your relationship with your sister enough to ask for your blessing."

"This doesn't mean I like you, brother," Ron replied swinging an arm over Blaise's shoulder as they returned to the gathering.

Blaise grabbed Ginny's hand and pulled her up as all their loved ones smiled at them knowingly, Ginny fidgeting with the collar of her turtleneck. She smiled at him questioningly, giving Blaise the courage he needed to do this. He slowly got down on one knee, opened the red velvet box, and said, "Ginny Weasley, will you marry me?"

She pushed back the tears brimming her eyes and nodded furiously mouthing "yes" over and over because she was too overjoyed to speak.