4. Simply Henry II

The Castle was dismantled the day after the treaty was signed. Father and I were riding away as they were pulling down some walls.

"It's only painted canvas remember." Father chortled as I looked over the valley.

"France is a beautiful country father." I sighed feeling some warm air on my face.

"Trust me, when this surprising warm spell is over here it can be just as bitterly cold here as it can be at home." Father told me. I took a little longer to just enjoy the sunshine, and I spotted Francis, the handsome French King riding away with his men.

"Let's go Maria." Father grinned and I turned my horse, and we rode away towards the docks.

*

As much as I was praying for an uneventful return from Kings Henrys court, I was highly mistaken from the second I touched English Soil. As my father returned to Hampton more whispers and murmurs seemed to follow us around.

Father pushed the door to his office open and I followed him inside. A letter was on his desk from Mr Pace, the Kings secretary. Father opened it and read it. His face went extremely serious in a matter of seconds.

"What's going on father?"

"Those whispers...now I know what they're about. Charles, Katherine's Nephew is only twenty. But he's now The Holy Roman Emperor."

"God almighty." I mumbled. I knew father wasn't the biggest lover of Spanish and I knew he didn't like Charles that much either.

"You know Henrys going to leap forward for an alliance Father." I stated. I think even father knew it was obvious. The French Alliance was going to last now more than a few days at this rate.

"I best go and speak to the King." Father said, putting the letter down and making his way back out.

"Shall I join you?" I called.

"No! You stay with your mother! She needs the company!" Father yelled from outside. I got the the window and spotted him riding away back to Whitehall. I shook my head chuckling to myself before going to find my mother.

*

My father returned quite a short time later. That was either very good news or very bad news. Either Henry had agreed with Father instantly or he'd made his mind up about what he wanted to do.

Father went straight to his office and slumped in his chair sighing.

"Henry wants to make a Spanish alliance." He grumbled.

"Sorry Father." I crouched next to him and held his hand.

"Maybe I was a little to ambitious this time." Father sunk and put his head in his hand. "The Kings ordered me to go to Aachen to negotiate."

We sat in a miserable silence for sometime. There was nothing to say, what the king, wanted the king got.

"Buckingham is plotting to get rid of the king." Father said at last.

"I know." I said causing him to raise an eyebrow "I overheard you in France talking to Boleyn."

"Oh...you sneaky little lady." Father chuckled.

"What does the King think?"

"He's inviting Buckingham to court, to keep an eye on him."