21: The House in York

"Maria. Maria wake up."
I opened my eyes slowly to see Mr Park leaning over me, shaking my shoulder lightly. My neck was aching from the way I'd been sleeping.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"Here." He replied and I opened my eyes.

"How long was I asleep?" I mumbled.

"Quite some time. But we here at the house of Paulet."

I got up, as far as I could, though I was forcibly slowed down by my aching back. Once I'd managed to take a few steps out of the carriage, the ache passed and I turned to Mr Park.

"I believe that this is for you, and your kindness." I said handing him a small but heavy purse.

"Maybe one day, you can bring justice to your father Maria, and get rid of that usurper to Catherine and Mary's place."

"I highly doubt I can do anything, Mr Park, you overestimate my abilities."

"I think you underestimate them my lady." He said taking my hand and kissing it lightly.

"It has been an honour. I pray your journey was not in vain."

"I do too." I replied as Mr Park got into the carriage. The driver kicked his horse to go and the carriage had soon disappeared.

I turned and took my small trunk and headed to the door. I wasn't exactly sure what to say.

"Yes I'm Joan's secret bastard daughter, may I come in for tea?"

"Pssst!" A voice called and I jumped. A young women came hurrying out from the bushes.

"Lady Wolsey?"

"Yes?"

"Thank the Lord you are here, I am the woman who wrote you that letter."

"Am...am I too late?"

"No, your mother is very weak but still with us. My Master Paulet is now also aware of your existence, and was surprisingly a supporter of the late Cardinal."

"So I may go to the door and they shall let me in?"

"Yes, but it is quicker through the side door. This way. My master shall be informed that you are here."

"Thank you." I said and she hurried me though the house, up countless stairs, turning left and right down many corridors. It was like a maze. I had to get to the centre, the centre being my mother.
We finally got to a door.

"You're mother is here. Pray we aren't too late," the woman said.

I took the door handle and breathed. I hadn't seen my mother in a long time. The last time we'd been together, we'd been told my father was dead and I was running, fleeing for my life. I was terrified of what I was about to see. My mother had always had a beautiful smile in her face, bright eyes and flowing red hair. She'd always been positive and gentle. What was I about to see? A shadow of the past?

I turned to handle and walked in to find my mother on a bed. Her eyes were closed and she looked very pasty, dripping in sweat.
"Mama?" I choked and her eyes flashed open. She looked over at me and I ran over, falling to my knees by her bedside.

"Maria! My beautiful Maria, my little girl." She sobbed weakly. She may have been weak but she threw her arms around me and clung onto my tightly. The tears fell from our eyes and we tried to tell each-other how much we had missed each-other and how much we loved each other. Yet we just cried. The maids behind us were snivelling too. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.

"Maria my darling...how did you get here?" My mother finally asked one we'd stopped crying and we'd been given privacy by the staff.

"The English ambassador in France helped me. He was very kind."