9. Arise my Lord II

Father and I returned to Hampton Court some days later. It was nice to have returned home again. I wasted no time returning to my regular study, practising my music and riding. Word soon broke out across court through rumours and whispers that Henry was wanting to divorce his wife. Sir Thomas Moore was keen to find out if the rumours were true and the moment he had enough evidence, he was straight onto my father.

"He wants a divorce?!" He questioned father, who sighed. He sighed a lot these days.

"It's not a divorce. The king wants an annulment on the grounds that he was never married in the first place. By marrying his brothers wife he has offended the laws of both God and man. He simply wants that recognised." Father reasoned, but More was not convinced.

"The Pope gave him a dispensation to marry Catherine." More argued and I nodded in agreement.

"Indeed he did no one denies it. But the king feels more beholden to God than he does to the pope. His conscience is genuinely stricken and tender. He has disobeyed Gods injunction and there is nothing that his holiness can say or do that can alter that fact." Father said, thinking he'd won the argument. But alas he could never beat More.

"The Pope is gods representative on earth! He speaks for him!" He cried.

"I'm sorry Father but I agree with-" I began by father bashed his hands on the table, rising to his feet.

"Oh come come Thomas what are pretending? Kings get divorced all the time and popes always find an excuse. I know your an idealist but you're not stupid, if Henry wants an annulment who's to stop him?" Father snapped. Thomas More looked horrified...and angry.

"Alright. You talk of fact. Let me give you a fact. Catherine of Aragon is not only a great queen and the daughter of great kings. She is also immensely popular throughout the whole of the country. God forbid you that the king should abandon her just to ease his own conscience. I don't think the English people would ever forgive him." He paused for a moment and looked at father. "Does she know yet?" Father sat down in silence and Thomas tried again, fiercer this time.

"Does she know yet?!" Father stayed silent. The air in the room grew cold, along with the tension.

*

A few days later I rode out to court alone, to say goodbye to Princess Mary. I was beyond sad to see my dear friend go. I went up to her chambers to find her sat on her bed, with a few maids hurrying about. She noticed me at the door and jumped from her bed.

"Maria!" She exclaimed, hurrying over and giving me a tight hug.

"Oh Mary...you are one lovely princess." I smiled. She looked at me and I stroked her head. "I shall miss you greatly." I continued.

"I will miss your lovely stories Maria. It is not that same trying to tell the Prince and the pirates to yourself. I can't get the voices right!" She sighed.

"Well...maybe I should tell you the story one last time." I smiled. She clapped her hands in delight and dragged me to some chairs. I sat down and told the greatest version of the Prince and the Pirates I had ever told, sparing no line, no detail, not a single word. As the story came to an end, a maid came up to us and smiled.

"Pardon me my lady, but it is time for the princess to leave and say goodbye to her mother." She said. I sighed and stood up. Mary got out of the chair and I curtseyed. She hugged me again.

"Goodbye Mary." I said.

"Goodbye Maria...my best friend." She said. As we pulled back, I could see a few tears.