13. Truth and Justice I

Father and I were sat in the study that afternoon. The birds tweeted outside, and the sunlight streamed in. A messenger appeared and cleared his throat. Father and I looked up.

"His eminence Cardinal Campegio." The messenger announced.

For a while there was silence until the faint but growing sound of the banging of a stick. An old man in the same red robes and appeared to be leaning on someone. That couldn't be Campegio. The last time I had seen him, he was a man of health.

"Ah. Lorrenzo my old friend." Father finally said stepping forward to greet the Cardinal, as if he'd only just realised who he was.

"My dear Wolsey. Lady Maria. You grow more beautiful each time I see you." The Cardinal said softly.

"Your eminence." I replied curtsying.

"You do grow more enchanting every time I see you. You most be very proud my dear friend." The Cardinal smiled turning to my father, who nodded proudly.

"Come." Father spoke and the two made their way, painfully slowly towards the chairs.

"Your grace must forgive my incapacity. God has given me gout as a great trial." The Cardinal chuckled.

"Now his majesty is very keen that the legatine court be set up straight away to determine the case of his annulment." Father began and Campegio nodded.

"Indeed Indeed. I have the popes written commission to decide upon this matter. And from my decision there can be no appeal. And yet....if you're grace had some water?" He asked and father turned

"Water!" He ordered and a servant moved. Then Campegio got cheeky

"Mixed with perhaps a little wine." Father rolled his eyes and I tried to muffle my laughter. Campegio winked at me and father looked at me sternly as if to say "Don't start."

"And yet?" Father asked diverting back to the original conversation.

"You and I are old friends. And we are both men of the world, Cardinal Wolsey. I even have a son who travels with me." Campegio began.

"And so?" Father said and Campegio looked up at him.

"His holiness wishes to satisfy the king, however difficult that may be. But for all our sakes would it not be better if you and I were to try and persuade His Majesty to give up his divorce?" The Cardinal said, and I sighed only wishing this was possible. He continued "Surely his passion for this girl will alter and fade with time and all such passions inevitably do."

Father ran his hand across his mouth.
"I fear your eminence may have proceeded here in ignorance. Let me make certain things plain to you." He began standing up.

I knew exactly what was coming but decided now was not the time to argue with father. Just bringing up the matter lead to extreme wrath and an hour long lecture these days. Father began to pace the area where we were sat.

"If you do not grant the king his divorce, papal authority in England will be annihilated!" He said his voice rising. "You should remember the greater part of Germany has already become estranged from Rome." Father leant closer to Campegio, glaring coldly at him. "The same thing could happen here. It would mean the total ruin of the kingdom."
I crossed myself and Father backed away from the slightly shaken Italian Cardinal before storming out of the room.

"Sorry your grace. He's just so stressed lately. He's always tired. Never has time for my mother and I anymore..." I sighed. I looked at Campegio. I needed his help, or my father would be ruined. Our family could be torn apart of this man didn't give the king what he wanted. I got up from my seat and fell to my knees.
"I beg you your grace, please help us. My fathers life is on the line because of this silly divorce. Please...help me." I begged in one breath. For a moment my eyes averted from Campegio and he sighed taking my hands.