24. Tears

"How many more days until Christmas break?" Riley asks as she waddles into my classroom. I hated being pregnant, I complained the whole time about how ugly I looked and drove Josh absolutely insane but my best friend pulled off pregnancy flawlessly. She was about five months pregnant and she had popped, her bump noticeable under the orange sweater dress she had paired with a pair of brown leggings and knee high boots.

"I wish zero" I sigh as I lean against my desk, "I can't wait until I can be off work for an entire week."

"I can't wait until maternity leave" Riley quips making me laugh as I nod in understanding.

"Have you decided if you're ducking out on us early?" I ask curiously. Riley was due in April so technically she didn't really have to come back to work since the school year would be over in eight weeks, it seemed silly to come back for two weeks when all we do at the end of the year is watch movies and color.

"Still deciding" she shrugs, "but it's only fair since you'll probably do the same to me next year" she adds with a smirk.

"What are you talking about?" I ask innocently.

"Um you getting pregnant" she laughs, "we all know the second you and my uncle get hitched you're gonna start trying for a sibling for Emma."

"TMI" Matt says, suddenly appearing in the doorway.

"Is there something you need Matt?" I ask aggravated to see him this early in the morning.

"Um" he stutters, "actually yea" he admits, "Callie called. It's Drew" he adds and suddenly he has my full attention.

"What about him?" I ask quickly, standing up at full attention.

He averts his eyes to the ground and stuffs his hands in his pockets, "he's taken a turn for the worst Maya, they don't think he'll make it through the day."

"Oh my god" I exclaim grabbing my things. "I have to get to the hospital" I say quickly.

"Maya" Riley warns as tears begin falling down my face, "you can't drive like this you'll get yourself in an accident" she says seriously.

"Drive me then" I snap, taking her aback.

"Peaches I have a class in five minutes."

"I can take you" Matt says softly. "We don't even have to talk but I can take you" he says seriously. I debate my options and sigh, nodding, giving in.

"Fine." I turn to give Riley a hug and head over to Matt. "I need to get Emma, I don't know how long I'll be at the hospital" I ramble as he nods.

"Okay" he says softly, stepping in front of me and placing his hands on my shoulders. "Maya breathe" he pleads, "it's not gonna do anyone any good if you pass out." I take a few deep breaths, nodding. "Okay" he smiles softly, "gimmie your keys, we'll take your car." I dig in my purse and find my keys handing them to him.

"Thanks" I say softly as a smile pulls at his lips.

"Come on" he insists, ushering me out of the school. We climb in my car and I dig out my phone.

Dead.

"Well that explains why Josh hasn't called" I mutter as I stuff it back in my back, running my fingers through my hair in frustration as Matt pulls out of the parking lot.

"Just direct me, okay?" he asks. I nod absentmindedly. I feel his gaze on me and for the first time ever it doesn't feel weird, it feels comforting. "You gonna be okay?" he asks as we stop at a red light.