chapter one

february 14

"oh god. oh god. i just fucking hit vivian in the face. fuck. fuck. fuck. FUCK." sean begins to panic, his breath rapidly increasing. he races over to her, looking back to glare at julian. as sean reaches viv, he finds her rubbing her head.

"i am so sorry, oh my god. i didn't mean to! i-i was aiming for julian, and then he ducked and- oh my god," sean rambles. "please let me bring you to the nurse."

vivian slowly stands and grabs onto sean to help herself go down the bleachers.

"it's fine really, don't worry about it," she laughs. "but i do want to go to the nurse."

as the two exit the gym, sean turns to mouth to julian, "you did this on purpose!"

julian flashes a smile and goes back to practicing his serves with the rest of the team.

sean and viv walk to the nurse in complete silence for about two minutes. god, why did the nurse's office have to be on the other side of the school. sean sighs.

"your name is sean right?" vivian breaks the silence, turning to sean whose been staring at the ground since they left the gym. "i'm vivian."

"i know," sean smiles. "we had english together last year. i honestly didn't think you knew who i was."

"actually, i think this is the first time we've ever had a full conversation. your volleyball slamming into my face was the best ice breaker i've experienced yet," viv bursts out laughing while sean's face becomes completely red.

"i'm really sorry about that, it wasn't how i pictured our first conversation going." sean scratches the back of his neck in embarrassment.

"you've pictured us having our first conversation?" viv raises her eyebrow.

"n-no! that's not what i meant, uh i-"

"i'm kidding! you get nervous easily, lew." vivian grins, and the two turn the corner to finally approach the nurse's office.

"to be honest with you, i just wanted an excuse to get out of that gym." vivian stops walking and turns to face sean.

"wait, why?" sean asks.

"i've been trying to avoid someone in there," vivian sighs. she begins to play with her hands and stare at the ground.

"who?" sean starts to mentally cross off people on the team who viv could possibly want to avoid.

"james, the volleyball captai-," vivian stops herself."oh wait, you obviously know him, you're on the team. well, i kind of had a thing for him during sophomore year. things were going great, then he got a girlfriend out of nowhere. so, yeah."

"oh."

"yeah... i really didn't want to go in there, but my friends wanted to watch the other players."

sean realizes they've been standing in front of the nurse's office for the past ten minutes. he glances at the clock to see first period about to start soon.

"we should get going, don't want to miss first period," sean says, and they head back to the gym to grab their things.

"actually, i wouldn't mind being late. i'm failing that class anyways." sean stops in his tracks right before they enter the gym.

"really? what class? i could help tutor you or something if you want..." viv's voice drifts off.

"i-i don't want to trouble you," sean stutters at the very thought of being able to spend more time with vivian. "i already kind of did earlier by almost giving you a concussion anyways."

"are you sure?" vivian says just as julian bursts through the doors to meet the two. julian places his arms around vivan and sean, grinning.

"hey guys, how was the nurse? you feel better, viv?" oh clumsy sean, his aim isn't very good." julian giggles, making sean's cheeks turn red a second time within the past hour. sean elbows julian's side and releases himself from
his arms.

"i should get going, i still have to go my locker. it was nice talking to you, sean. my offer is still up for grabs if you want it." vivian says before walking to her friends.

"what was that? what offer?" julian starts playfully punching sean's shoulder, who is still staring at vivian walk away.

"she wants to tutor me."