chapter nineteen

march seven ; day twenty-one

after school, sean waits for julian by the parking lot.

he sighs, realizing he still needed to follow along with james' plan. he takes the recording device out of his pocket and plays with the tiny device while waiting.

"i should just step on this thing right now," sean mumbles, not realizing julian was standing in front of his.

"what's that?" julian says, pointing to sean's hands.

"uh, nothing, it's nothing," sean mutters as he stuffs it back inside his pocket. "so, anyways, i need your help."

"yeah, what's up?" julian replies as the two go inside car.

"i need to do something cool for my promposal to vivian," sean reveals as he rubs the back of his neck.

"my boy is growing up!" julian teases, putting his hand on sean's shoulder. "and to think, just three weeks ago you couldn't get a girl."

"no need to remind me," sean rolls his eyes as his best friend's comment. "so what should i do? i've never asked anyone to a dance."

"uh yeah, you have. remember seventh grade?"

"okay, fine. i've never asked anyone that i knew would say yes,"

"how are you so sure she'll say yes?" julian arches an eyebrow.

"shut up," sean hits julian's arm. "i want to do something nice, haven't you seen all those cool videos on twitter?"

julian nods.

"dude, i got it!" julian exclaims, breaking the silence. "it's perfect."

sean parks the car and they enter julian's house. his parents are off at a business meeting until tomorrow, so they have the house to themselves.

"we could do something like those flash mobs!" julian suggests.

"you know i can't dance for shit, jules," sean complains.

"true, but i can," julian laughs. "and josh! we can teach you."

"i have to ask her tomorrow, do you think that's enough time?" sean asks worriedly.

"it'll be easy," julian says as he starts to text josh to come over. "and if anything, we've got all night to practice."

the two head over to julian's room where they can put his mirrored wall to use. sean sits back on the bed, watching julian choreograph the beginning of their dance before josh arrives.

the doorbell rings and sean goes down to let josh in, filling him in on their promposal idea while going up the stairs.

julian wraps up the choreo as they arrive and shows them the final piece. josh quickly learns it afterwards then they turn to sean who's been carefully studying their movements.

"okay your turn, sean," julian says, pulling sean up from the bed.

josh hits play on the speaker, and miguel's adorn blasts, queueing the start of their choreo.

julian and josh do the first few steps and sean attempts to follow only to trip on his own feet.

"it's gonna be long night," josh sighs.

josh grabs his phone out his pocket and lets his parents know he's sleeping over despite the fact that he knows the three will barely get any sleep trying to teach sean.

they repeat the first eight steps again slowly while sean struggles to get them right.

"can't we do something else like a scavenger hunt?" sean whines as they repeat the choreo for the tenth time. "i'm sweating from places i didn't even know could sweat."

"i thought you wanted to do something cool for vivian," josh reminds. "just think about how much she'll love this."

"okay, okay," sean replies, wiping the sweat off of his forehead with the end of his shirt.

"from the top boys!" julian yells, hitting play on the audio again.

it's midnight when the boys decide to take a break and go to the kitchen to eat a late dinner. they eat the leftover chinese food julian bought yesterday and finish up any homework they had for the day.

"okay, one last time," julian says, taking a last mouthful of chow mein. "by yourself!"

josh nods, whipping out his phone and opening up snapchat to record the moment.

sean sighs and stands in front of the dining table. he gives josh a slight nod to play the music.

to all of their surprise, sean executes the choreography perfectly, hitting every single step at the right timing.

julian and josh clap for sean and jokingly thank him for the mini performance.

the boys clean up and head to julian's room to get ready for bed, being it was already 2:30 AM.

julian turns off the lights and takes his place on the bed while sean and josh sleep on respective couches in julian's room.

"wait," sean whispers in the midst of the darkness. "i still need a poster and a location."

"i got it covered," julian says sleepily. "just worry about memorizing the choreo."

"go to sleep guys, school starts in five hours," josh says as he uses the pillow to cover his face.

"goodnight guys," sean mumbles as he drifts off to sleep.

***
a/n
sean cant dance for shit in this book but irl he's a literal dance god oh the irony 😂