chapter twenty

march eight ; day twenty-two

from: julian
meet me at the rooftop of the C building after school

from sean:
how the hell am i supposed to get up there

from: julian
..the stairs?

from: sean
no shit
but the entrance to the rooftop is locked

from: julian
oh right. i'll leave a key in your locker

sean slips his phone into his back pocket and goes back to answering the questions on the board.

it's the last period of the day, and he hasn't seen a glimpse of the poster or location julian promised him. he was hoping that whatever he needed at the rooftop would solve all of that.

luckily, vivian had cheer practice after school today so they had some time to prepare until she was finished.

the bell rings, and sean rushes over to his locker on the other side of the school. he quickly puts in his combination and finds the key sitting at the bottom of his locker.

only staff had access to the rooftop, but sean didn't even bother questioning it knowing julian always found a way around these kinds of things. as julian always said, he had his connections.

sean walks over to the C building and struggles to walk up the several sets of stairs that eventually reach the rooftop entrance. he fumbles with the keys and enters to see julian standing in the middle.

the entire place is completely decorated with fairy lights, streamers, plants, and a table filled with vivian's favorite food items off to the side.

"how'd you find the time to pull this off?" sean says as he walks around, in awe of the set up.

"connections," julian winks. "also, josh will be here any second. and nat. and lexee. and kenneth. and gabe."

"so basically all our friends," sean replies.

"precisely! we all want to see your big moment," julian beams.

"it's just a promposal, not a wedding proposal," sean laughs.

"the promposal of the century, sean," julian exaggerates.

sean rolls his eyes.

the door opens to reveal the entire friend group barge in. nat's holding a bunch of balloons while lexee is holding the poster that says "prom?" in big gold letters.

"say hello to your extra backup dancers!" kenneth and gabe both exclaim.

"okay everyone, viv ends cheer practice in about two and half hours," julian announces.

"i can text her then to meet me here," nat adds. "i'll tell her i have to return her notes or something."

"thank you guys for helping me out," sean says to everyone.

sean and the boys practice the choreo a couple times while waiting for time to pass.

/

it's six when vivian's cheerleading practice ends, and as soon as the clock hits, nat texts her to meet with her.

all of them take position, hiding behind the tables and assortment of plants and balloon.

soon enough, they all can hear vivian's voice from the staircase.

"why did you ask to meet me here of all places?" vivian pants. "how'd you even get access here?"

"don't worry about that," nat says as she opens the door.

the two hug for a brief moment and nat drags vivian over to the bench. the music starts to play and sean, josh, kenneth, and gabe pop out from their hiding spots.

"oh my god," viv's face lights up instantly as soon as she sees sean.

(a/n picture sean's choreo for feel it still for this part lol)

sean winks at viv towards the end of the song, and lexee comes out from behind holding the poster, handing sean a bouquet of sunflowers.

he walks over to vivian who hasn't stopped smiling since she saw him.

"sean," she pouts as sean gives her the bouquet.

"vivian, will you go to prom with me?" sean smiles, with lexee in the back holding up the "prom?" sign. next to her is nat who had been videotaping the entire thing while the other boys and quietly cheering on sean.

she nods, mouthing "of course", and stands up to hug him, followed by all their friends screaming and teasing them.

"let's gooooo sean, my boy!" julian yells.

"you guys are the cutest," lexee adds.

"i didn't think you were going to ask me," she looks up at him. "i thought it was a given since we're running together -"

sean cuts her off, saying, "i still wanted to ask, and i wanted to make it special for the first girl i ask out to a dance."

sean wraps his arms around viv from behind, resting his chin on top of her head.

julian changes the music and the party begins.

/ three hours later /

"it's been an eventful three weeks," sean says to kenneth and julian.

the two are off to the side of the rooftop. vivian is sitting by the table with nat, lexee, and josh rewatching the video of the promposal.

"you can say that again," julian agrees, taking a sip out of the sprite can.

"has it really?" kenneth questions, oblivious to what was really going on.

sean nods and sighs. he looks up at the sky covered with thousands of stars.

he walks over to vivian, overhearing some of their conversation.

"i don't deserve this," she says quietly to josh. it's only the two of them now as nat and lexee have joined julian on the other side.

"are you kidding, viv?" josh frowns. "you deserve every bit of this. sean wanted to make it extra special for you,"

"no, you don't understand," she says seriously, avoiding josh's eyes. "i don't deserve this."

before josh can reply, sean interrupts, asking vivian to dance with him.

she nods and leaves the flowers of the table, intertwining her hands with his.

"i'm going to need some practice slow dancing," sean laughs.

he looks over to julian and gives him a slight nod to change the song.

fallingforyou by the 1975 plays softly in the background. he snakes his hands around her waist while she places hers around the back of his neck, resting her cheek on his shoulder.

"thank you for all of this," she whispers.

the chatter of their friends tunes out and it feels like they're the only two people on that roof.

he added this moment to the now seemingly never ending list of moments he never wanted to end. without question, every single one of those moments included vivian.

deep in his heart, he knew the moment wouldn't last forever.

and at one point, the truth would unravel itself. but he was in far too deep now, and once she found out, it would be the end of everything.

the feeling would eventually have to come to an end, and that itself was a moment he never wanted to experience.

but he had to.

but for now, all he could do was sway along to the music, with vivian's head nested into the crook of his shoulder, wishing it would never end.

***
a/n
there's only about ten chapters left + an epilogue guys im so emo rn