chapter twelve

february twenty-three ; day nine

sean enters his history period, the hour he's been dreading for the entire day, or week to be exact. today's the day he takes his gruesome history test, falling into the category that accounts for 70% of his grade.

he trudges through to the far end of the class where his seat is, seeing a small pink note on his table.

coincidentally, vivian shared the same seat as sean, just in the period before him. however, she was in an ap class compared to sean's cp.

he places his books on the table and reads "good luck i believe in you :)" written in viv's handwriting. his lips curve into a smile as he folds back the note.

the bell rings for class to begin, and immediately the teacher starts calling the students alphabetically to pick up their scantrons. as that happens, sean gives himself a mental peptalk.

"sean?" the teacher finally calls and sean almost trips on his way to grab his paper, earning a couple of giggles across the room.

he takes a deep breathe before turning the paper, getting the same feeling he does before every test. but there was something different about this one - he felt more confident.

it wasn't that sean didn't care about his grades. it was that he cared too much. he'd stay up until four in the morning - sometimes, pull all nighters for the smallest assignments - for school.

but his nerves always got the best of him. when sean got nervous, he tended to panic and half of the time not even finish his tests because of his anxiousness. the pressure was always too much for him to bare.

but today, though not completely cured, he felt more at ease. he flipped the paper and thoroughly read through every question. as he went on to each question, it was like he could hear viv's voice trying to drill the information into his head at the library.

just in the nick of time, sean passes up his paper and leaves class feeling a whole lot better about himself. it seemed like everything in his life was finally falling into place.

"what are you so happy about?" a familiar set of hands grab onto sean's shoulders - familiar, yet unexpected.

he turns to see an excited vivian, who looks like she's waiting for sean to say something.

"well? how was the test?" she asks eagerly.

"uh," sean starts. "i think i did pretty good."

"ahh!!! i'm so proud of you seany!" she beams, still grabbing onto sean.

"wait a minute, you don't usually pass this way at this time.." sean says, puzzled.

"well," she lets go of sean and rubs the back of her neck, a habit she's picked up from sean. "i wanted to see you."

she bites her lip and starts to clutch onto one of her textbooks.

"oh," sean says quietly.

she nods slowly, staring at the ground. the two then realize it's nutrition and have been walking straight for the past five minutes with no destination in mind.

"let's go to the lunch tables?" vivian suggests and sean follows.

and instead of walking in total silence, they spend the short walk in laughter as sean jokes about whatever he can think about from their boss to the amount of time julian spends on styling his hair.

"hey, you're free next period right?" sean asks, even though he already knew she was.

"yep, what's happening next period?" she says as they take a seat at the nearest empty table.