Chapter 11

I've been told that I sell myself short, but this isn't me being self conscious, this chapter is REALLY awful. It sucks. Just a heads-up!

It had been two weeks since Jack's meeting with Hook and things had been going downhill for the Manhattan newsies. The frequency and intensity of the skirmishes had increased, though no one else had died that they knew of.

No boy was left unscathed. To come back to the lodge without someone having gotten into a fight was extremely uncommon. Everyday the boys came back after selling, their skin littered with scratches and bruises, many of them new and having been acquired that day.

A few of the boys had developed scars from especially nasty fights, but that did nothing to destroy their determination to fight back, instead it only fueled them more.

Romeo was specifically uncaring of bruises and scars. He'd gotten caught at dark by a boy much bigger than him who was also carrying a sharp shard of glass. He'd made it out, but his previously unblemished face would forever hold a reminder.

When asked how he felt about the cut, which stretched from his left temple to the middle of his forehead, he replied with a wink and a cheeky, "The ladies love it!"

The boys' room had been turned into a makeshift infirmary and Specs had taken on the role of doctor. He spent most of his evening fixing up boys who'd gotten into fights.

"Sit down Ike!" He exclaimed exasperatedly.

"Ike, listen to Specs, he's nearly a certified doctor!" Mike said, trying to convince his twin to obey Specs' orders.

"Specs ain't certified in anythin'!"

"That's why Ise said 'nearly', 'sides, that don't mean he don't know what he's talkin' about."

"I don't need to sit! I'm fine!" Ike complained.

"You may be fine, but ya still need to sit down so Ise can be sure."

After another pleading look from Mike, Ike groaned and sank slowly onto the bed.

"Sniper, give me the cloth."

Sniper was laying on his stomach on the floor, playing a card game with Tommy Boy, holding a wet cloth and bandages in his free hand. He handed the cloth to Specs who took a close look at a cut beneath Ike's eye. After a minute of observation, Specs pressed the cloth against the wound, gently at first, then slowly applying more pressure.

Ike hissed as the cut began to sting and tried to pull away, but Specs grabbed the back of his head and held him in place.

"Hold this here," Specs said before turning around to take the bandages from Sniper.

"Ise gonna go check on Jojo, but I'll be-" Specs stopped as he turned back to face Ike. The boy had already removed the cloth. Specs roughly pushed it back against Ike's face and gave him a stern glare. "Ise gonna check on Jojo. If I come back and that cloth ain't on your face, youse won't have to worry 'bout the Bronx, I'll soak ya myself!"

"You heard 'im," Mike laughed as Ike grumpily held the cloth in place. "It ain't gonna kill ya."

"Infection might," Ike said darkly.

"That ain't funny," Mike said, rolling his eyes.

"I thought it was."

***

Jojo looked up as Specs moved over to him.