Chapter 12

"Spot! Come quick!"

"What do ya want Smoke? I ain't playin' no games with youse," Spot said, glancing towards the small boy.

"It ain't for a game! It's Lip!"

Spot sighed, "If he picked a fight with Slugger again, I ain't gonna stop it. I warned him last time that I was done gettin' him outta jams, if he was badmouthin' Slugger then the two of them needs to settle it themselves. Slugger gives him a black eye, that's fair."

"No, it ain't Slugger! It's three other boys! He was pickin' at 'em and theyse went after him!" Smoke cried.

Spot shrugged. "That's fair too. He's gotta learn what happens when you talks to people like that. If that comes back with some bruises, so be it. 'Sides, he's a good enough fighter, he's gonna be okay."

"No Spot! Theyse real big, and they ain't stoppin'! He ain't awake no more! Youse gotta stop it!" Smoke cried, but immediately quieted and looked away. No one told Spot what to do. He wrung his hands nervously as Spot eyed him carefully.

"He ain't conscious?"

"No sir, not any more. He went out, that's when I left to get youse."

Spot thought for a second, then looked at the other boys who sat around the outside of the lodging house. "Bull, Grit! Get over here! You two is comin' with me! Cards, youse in charge 'til I get back!"

The two boys that Spot had called got up and moved toward him without question. Cards gave a quick nod, brown hair flopping onto his face, and he moved to sit in the 'boss chair'.

"C'mon Smoke, show us where he is."

The dark haired boy led them out the door and down to the docks quickly.

"Slow down there Smoke, what's the rush?" Grit asked.

"Is we gonna crack skulls?" Bull asked excitedly, cracking his knuckles.

"We'll see," Spot said.

Smoke led them down to the furthest dock which was always empty except for newsies. Smoke pointed at the boys who stood on it. They laughed as they gave a few last kicks to what appeared to be a bundle of clothes.

Spot made his way closer after telling Smoke to hang back a bit. Spot was near the end of the dock before any of the boys noticed him. "What do you fellas think you're doin'?" Spot growled.

Two of the boys shot forward, Spot allowing them to pass as he grabbed the third boy who was considerably slower. He gave Grit and Bull a signal to follow them and the boys sped after them. Spot moved closer to the third boy who'd been too slow, his hand wrapped around the boy's arm tightly.

"So, youse think it's fun to beat a boy after he can't fight back no more?" Spot's eyes flashed in anger and the boy flinched back, his face drained of all color and laughter.

"I asked youse a question boy, and I thinks that you'd better answer it."

"N-no," the boy stuttered as Spot leaned closer to him.

"Then why was ya doin' it?"

"H-Hook said t-to. He s-said it's intimidatin'."

"There's nothin' scary or powerful about someone who can only win if the other man's unconscious. That's just pitiful," Spot's other hand gripped the boy's collar, pulling him down a few inches to his own height. "You said 'Hook' told ya to do this?"