Chapter 14

Spot tapped his fingers against the arm of the chair as he waited for Dimples' brother. Night had already found the boy and was expected to be back any minute. Dimples was bouncing excitedly from where he stood behind Spot.

"Calm down kid! Youse very distractin' when you do that. I'm tryin' to think."

Dimples stopped and stared at the doorway, willing it to open and reveal his brother.

"He ain't gonna get here faster just cause youse lookin' at the door."

"It's worth a try," Dimples said, staring even harder.

"That's not how it works kid!"

Dimples shrugged but he grinned as the door swung open to reveal Night and another boy.

"I told you!" Dimples bragged.

"That's not why it happened! It was just a-" Spot sputtered as Dimples ran over to the door, throwing his arms around the other boy.

"Charlie!" The older boy cried, hugging Dimples tightly. "Youse alright! I've been lookin' for youse ever since I heard that Hook threw ya out! Why didn't ya tell me ya didn't make dues?"

Spot watched silently, giving Night a small nod. Night turned and left quietly. Dimples and his brother continued to speak as the older boy frantically checked his brother for more injuries.

"You ain't hurt right?"

"He's fine," Spot said, drawing their attention back to him. The boy pulled Dimples behind him as he sent Spot a cautious glance. "I ain't gonna hurt him," Spot groaned.

"Yeah, he's been helpin' me!" Dimples said happily.

"So youse Spot Conlon?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Ise gotta admit, when your boy told me that the famous Spot Conlon had to speak to me, Ise didn't believe it."

"Well it's true. Got anything else to say?"

The boy looked Spot over and nodded. "Yeah, youse shorter than I thought you'd be."

"Do you wanna die?" Spot growled. "Ise can have that arranged."

"I was bein' honest!" The boy responded, hands raised in surrender as Dimples giggled.

"What are you laughin' at? Get outta here."

"What? He doesn't have to leave! Charlie, get back here!"

"Sorry, I gotta go," Dimples said as he left the room.

"Now sit down," Spot glared. Dimples' brother still stared at the door incredulously, but he slowly sank into a chair.

"Now tell me your name, ginger."

"It's Will."

"Alright Will, why don't you tell me what exactly is goin' on in your home sweet home?"

"Do you mean the Bronx?"

Spot sighed, his hand coming to rest on the side of his face in annoyance. "Course Ise mean the Bronx. Who else is causin' problems?"

"I was just wonderin'," Will mumbled. "What do ya wants to know?"

"Why are you guys beatin' up kids in the streets? That's a good one to start with!" Spot hissed as he pictured Lip, who was still unable to walk on his own.

Will shrugged, "I ain't been hurtin' people."

"Youse a Bronx newsie."

"Yeah."