Chapter 28

Warning: I can't write fight scenes. I just can't. It seems that making a book with a plot based around a huge fight was a mistake. I'm awful at this. It basically jumps around a lot and doesn't describe the fighting much, so just throw me a bone and try to imagine people fighting. This is NOT my strong suit.

Also! Pretty dark chapter. Just so you know.

***

It hadn't been long, but Spot could already tell that they had the advantage. With all of the boys helping him, he was much more relaxed and focused on the fight. He could more easily spot a sloppy punch or a weak stance, defending himself and taking other guys down with ease.

Other than Hook, they really weren't very good fighters, they only did well because they came in numbers. But that didn't matter tonight. Hook had brought lots of guys, Spot had brought more.

Spot was slowly making his way towards the epicenter of the battle where Hook was located, but the deeper into the fight he got, the more ferocious the boys became. He still didn't think any better of their fighting skills, but with several of them holding clubs and pulling knives, anyone would be worried.

Out of the corner of his eye, Spot saw a boy come charging toward him. He grabbed a club out of the hands of the boy next to him, and swung it at the kid with the knife.

The kid dropped and Spot turned around and knocked the other boy out as well. Spot felt a bit guilty, but bit that back. They would be fine when they woke up. Besides, with their weapons he could go to where Hook was and possibly survive. Shrugging off any leftover remorse, Spot pocketed the knife that was still open in the boy's hand and headed into the fray.

***

Davey really didn't know how to fight, but he was doing his best. He was sticking to the outside, where the weaker, unarmed boys were. He thought he was doing well enough.

Until he got punched in the face.

Davey's hands flew to his face, clutching at his nose that was definitely broken. The boy hit him again and he stumbled back. He tried to catch himself, but that only resulted in him scraping his hands as he hit the ground.

Specs had seen the whole thing and was rushing over to help Davey, only to be surprised when his friend swung his leg out, sweeping the other guy's feet out from beneath him.

It seemed that Davey was just as surprised as he turned to Specs with wide eyes. "Did you see that? I just knocked that guy over!"

Specs laughed. "I saw it Davey," he said as he headed back towards the fight.

***

Finch had promised Mush that he wouldn't let him die, and he fully intended to keep to that promise. Finch stayed close to Mush, fighting the few boys who made their way to the edge of the fray. He didn't even want any of them near Mush.

Finch felt a hand on his shoulder and spun around, ready to deck the kid.

Romeo ducked as the fist came flying at him. He'd been expecting it, but that didn't mean he'd been completely prepared for it. "Nice form," he smirked, raising his eyebrows as though impressed.

"Romeo! Warn a guy before you sneak up on him! What are you doin' here anyway? This is a turf war, not a time for jokin' or messin' around."

Romeo sobered up. "I just wanted to let you know that Ise heard some of the other guys say they saw a kid with a gun."