Rules

"Wow, this is beautiful" Gabriela stated as she exited the car. She couldn't believe how beautiful this house was. A two story home and it was all Joan's. A lake sat right in front of the house, it must have cost a fortune for the view alone. 

Gabriela loved it. 

"Thank-you, Let me show you around kid" Joan stated as she opened and allowed Gabriela to pass. 

"I'm not a kid, I'm 18" 

Joan laughed. "Well, I'm 45 and to me, you are a kid, come on" Gabriela sighed. "This is the living room with a working fireplace...over here is the kitchen, the dining room is right through that door, the guest bathroom right through that door. Up the stairs to the left is my room, the room to the right will be yours". Joan explained as the two walked through out the house. "If you need anything just let me know" 

"I really appreciate this...everything" 

"It's no problem" Joan states with a smile. "I'm happy to help, now, that  is out of the way, lets discuss house rules" 

"Rules?" Gabriela questioned. 

"Yes, nothing major, just no profanity, no drugs, no being disrespectful...no back talking.." Joan stated she glanced back at Gabriela who had a confused look on her face. "Anyone who lives in my home will follow my rules" Gabriela supposed that was okay. After all she was a guest. She nodded as she continued to listen. "Also, there are daily chores to be done. Yours can be vacuuming the bedrooms upstairs, sweeping the floors downstairs, dusting, cleaning up after lunch and dinner, laundry day is every Sunday, all three bathrooms, yours, the guest bathroom and mines.." 

The list went on and on. Gabrielle couldn't help but wonder why she had to clean up Joan's bed room as well. It seemed a bit odd...but she couldn't really complain could she? She was inside, in the warmth and not outside in cold, even worst the rain that had begun soon after she and Joan arrived. She took a quick glance outside, because they were sitting in the living room she could see the lake in front of the home. It was a very nice two story home, it reminded her of a luxurious cabin  that is often on the front pages of a magazine for interior and exterior designing. 

"So, Gabriela, tell me about yourself. Since you're going to be living with me, I think it's only fair for me to know details about you, I guess what I'm trying to ask, is what was a girl as young as your self doing out walking around alone?" 

"Well, yesterday I turned 18" 

"Oh,  happy belated birthday" Joan stated with a smile. "That must have been exciting huh?" 

"Hm...not really, I have been in foster care since I was a baby. I never got adopted, and since I turned 18 I had to leave...I don't have anyone...or anything other than what's in my backpack" Gabriela shrugged as she pointed to her bag that she sat by the door. "They gave 100 bucks and a bus pass. I took it as far as I could and just started walking..." Gabriela shrugged once more. 

"You know" Joan began. "I've never been able to have kids. Turns out I'm infertile" She laughed. "You see, that's why my ex husband left me. Because he wanted kids and I couldn't have any, now, I know what you're thinking. Why not just adopt?, well, I tried but the state didn't find me fit to be a mother, look at me, don't you think I would have been a great mother?" 

Gabriela not sure what to say simply nodded. 

"Oh, I've got an Idea!" She stated excitedly. "Since you've always wanted a mother, and I've always longed for a child, I think that we should pretend to be mother and daughter. I mean, look at us Gabriela, we kind of look similar. We are both practically the same skin complexion. We both have grey/blue eyes. Both have black hair. I am a bit taller than you, my frame is a bit more mature than your own, but that's usually normal for a mother daughter pair" Gabriela sat with her eyes wide as she starred at Joan. Was this woman psycho? She had to be. "You know what, from now on, you'll call me Mommy, and I'll call you Gabby, you can stay with me forever. I'll take great care of you"

"Oh, well, um?" Gabriela stated as she stood up from the sofa. "If it's alright with you, I'm super tired, I'd like to go and...retire for the night" She walked over to her back pack and swung it over one arm. It was fairly light as there was not much in it. 

"Well, aren't you hungry, it's almost dinner time?" Joan questioned confused as she stood from her position on the sofa. "I'll cook, what do you like?" 

Gabriela could feel her heart racing as Joan came closer to her. She forced herself not to back up. Her gut was telling her to run now. Though Joan has been nothing but nice to her since they've met, she could tell that something was a bit off. 

"No...that's alright. I'm just really tired from traveling...I'm going up to bed now" She announced before running up the stairs. She could hear Joan calling for her not to run in the house but she didn't listen. She ran into the room that was supposed to be hers and closed the door. She was about to lock it when she realized that there was no locks. 

Sighing she placed her backpack in the empty closet before stripping and taking a long hot well deserved shower...