Please don't hurt Me

"Please, don't hurt me" Gabriela whispered as she continued to back away from Joan. Soon her back found the wall and she didn't know what to do anymore. Her heart started racing and tears started to burn the back of her eyes. Why was Joan so upset with her. She didn't mean to make her angry, and now Joan wanted to hurt her. "I'm sorry" Gabriela pleaded. "Mommy, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you mad, I promise I won't act like that again" Gabriela closed her eyes as she awaited a strike from the belt, but when she felt a hand gently caress her face instead she opened her eyes. 

"Promise to be a good girl for Mommy, and I'll let you off with a warning this time" Joan stated in a threatening voice. 

"I will" Gabriela promised quickly. "I promise to be a good girl, for you...Mommy, I promise" Her heart was pounding so fast she was afraid it would beat out of her chest. 

"That's my good girl" Joan pulled Gabriela in for a hug and ran her hands through Gabriela's long curly hair. "That's all I wanted to hear. I know I scared you today, but you scared me as well, you tried to run away from me, but you can't leave now, I just got you" She whispered into the teen's ear. "Why don't you help me bring the groceries into the house and will get started on lunch" 

"Yes Mommy" Gabriela whispered. She'd play along right now, but as soon as the coast was clear she was going to make a run for it. 

Joan was crazy.