Chapter 15

Lily's P.O.V.

"Skip..." I started.

"Lily," Skip replied, eyebrows contracted.

"No. I know what you two are thinking! That's suicide!" Randall cut in, staring at the two of us with a look of utter disbelief.

"It's the only way Randall and he's a vampire, he won't die," I pleaded.

"Exactly, he's a vampire! The legend doesn't mention vampires, only humans. And it's risky enough with humans since we're talking about something we don't even know is real or just a made up bedtime story. It's been centuries since anyone's tried - and again who knows if those accounts are real or not! To consider a vampire doing it, it's unthinkable, there's no precedent!" Randall looked at his brother for support.

Skip was still looking at me when he answered. In a soft voice he said, "A vampire has a much better chance of surviving, compared to a human, brother. And I know you believe in the legend, we all do."

"We were children when we went there!" Randall retorted.

I looked him in the eye, "Yes, but even at such a young age, we all felt it Randall, you know we did. The stories are real."

We were about ten when we visited Poseidon's Cliff. We didn't get too close to it, but kept a safe distance. We all experienced the same feeling, like someone was watching us. The sea there was unnaturally dark and dense.

Michael and Ian were watching this exchange with a flurry of emotions - first they looked skeptical, then confused, and finally, intrigued.

"Would one of you just spit it out? My head is hurting trying to understand what the hell you're talking about. What is this legend? And why is it suicidal?" Michael asked, clearly annoyed.

I took a deep breath and explained, "There are stories told among our people, stories that are centuries old. Have you ever heard of Poseidon?"

"Yes of course, the Greek god of the sea. What about him?" Ian, always the scholar, answered.

Michael sat down on the couch, muttering, "This oughta be good," I ignored him and continued.

"Well, there's a very tall cliff overlooking the ocean, known as Poseidon's Cliff. Large, jagged rocks under the water surround the cliff. According to legend, if a human believes we exist (most don't of course) and means no ill will to our kind, then they can jump off Poseidon's Cliff and visit our lands. If they are deemed worthy of the honor to see our kingdom, then Poseidon transforms them into one of us once they hit the water. If they are not worthy, then Poseidon will not save them from hitting the rocks." I was watching Michael as I explained all of this, and noticed his complexion turn pale.

Ian burst out laughing, looking at his brother. Skip, Randall and I all exchanged confused looks.

When Ian finally stopped laughing, he looked at Michael, "Do you want to tell them or shalI I have the honor?"

Michael glared at his brother then looked at me and said "I don't particularly like heights Lily."

Ian helpfully added, "That's an understatement; he is terrified of heights, always has been."

Michael gritted his teeth, "I'll manage, but I appreciate your concern brother."

"I'll be happy to go with you Lily, after all I should be the one going with you anyway."

I had considered this myself and quickly replied, "No. I don't think it's a very good idea for you to meet my father...he already hates vampires, so meeting a vampire that's my boyfriend? It's a recipe for disaster."

Ian looked a little hurt but he nodded. So that settled it. I was going home.

Michael's voice interrupted my thoughts, "Question. How do I turn back into my devilishly handsome self?"

Now it was my turn to laugh, "Oh don't worry about that."