Chapter 7

"Let go of me, Malfoy," it was a hiss, but it was distinct.

"Shut up, Nott." Draco's reply was softer so much that the only reason Hermione heard was because she'd already heard Theo.

She glanced up as Voldemort turned to the pair. Draco was holding Theo back, his grip on the younger boy seeming to slip with each second. "What is it?" Voldemort asked, his voice suddenly colder and rather like a snake.

"She killed my mother!" Theo yelled suddenly. "She killed my mother and I want to kill her!"

Hermione glanced at the woman before her and then at Theo. The Slytherin was lying through his teeth and Voldemort could sense this. Before he managed to pry into Theo's mind, Hermione got in both of their heads. In Theo's she brought to the surface realistic images of his mother and Emmeline Vance. In Voldemort's, she brought forth the 'memory' of Mrs Nott's death.

"I'm going to kill her!" Theo yelled.

"Very well."

In surprise of Voldemort's reply, Draco lost his grip, Theo stumbled forward, Narcissa's eyebrows rose, Blaise's jaw dropped, Bellatrix squeaked and Hermione almost dropped the charms on the minds of Voldemort and Theo.

Voldemort nodded again. "Go on, my boy." He beckoned for Hermione to join him where Theo once stood. "You see, child," he told her softly, "Revenge is a strong motive, and I should hardly like to have one suffer as I did. I believe the boy should release his anger."

Voldemort looked up at Theo and gave what he thought was an encouraging smile. "Go on," he said.

Hermione strengthened her mental shield over Theo's mind as she felt his resolve shiver. Then, as if someone had flipped a switch within him, he raised his wand at Emmeline Vance and fired the Killing Curse.

Slowly, Voldemort clapped and he smiled wickedly at the dead body then at the student. "Well done, my boy." He turned to Hermione. "There will be other times, child."

"Dismissed," he said after a moment.

Narcissa bowed slightly before herding the boys out. Voldemort turned to the Gryffindor beside him. "Will you not leave too?"

"You have not finished, my lord."

Voldemort smiled a thin smile. "You are indeed a talented witch." He glanced at the crazed Bellatrix behind Hermione. "You may leave," he said pointedly. "I wish to speak to the child alone."

With a small sound of disbelief and a glare at Hermione, Bellatrix followed her sister. Voldemort waved his wand and gestured to the chair. "Have a seat, child."

Hermione sat down after having stowed her wand away. She kept as far as possible. "What is it, my lord?"

"I must inform you, before you see it for yourself and make any rash decisions. You are not my only ally within the walls of Hogwarts."

"I am aware, my lord. Professor Snape is a very trusted ally of Dumbledore's. Like always, you have chosen well." Hermione had learnt a while back that flattery could take you anywhere.

Voldemort nodded, glad that Hermione thought so. "But are you aware of how much greater value you are to me? My dear child, your skills are far greater than you know. If you weren't in my army, I dare say I'd fear you."

Hermione nodded. "I understand, my lord."

"No, I am not sure you do. One day, long after I am gone, you will find something ancient, and you will find that it will be of great value to you."

Hermione frowned. Curious, she scooted her chair closer. Long after he is gone? He knows he is going to die, then.

Voldemort nodded, and Hermione realised she'd thought too loud. "I dare say Potter has been taught well, and I fear I may not win this battle. But you, you will rise out and above it. You, child, you will be victorious."