III: Callbacks

III: Callbacks

"Yo, Char, you honestly gotta chill your ass the fuck down," Eileen said, looking dead serious. "Stop shaking your leg!" She threw a pillow at me.

"I'm sorry, I can't help it."

I hated waiting. Absolutely hated it. For one whole week, the only thought that has been in my head was my audition and whether or not I would get a callback. I wanted the role so badly that I was super prepared if I got a call. My phone was on ringer (the highest volume possible) with vibrations on so there would be absolutely no way that I would miss the call— if I got one, that is.

"I know you want the role really bad, Char, but you can't keep thinking about it. I'm honestly getting worried about you," she said in a calmer tone, her face full of worry.

"I'm sorry, you're right," I sighed. "Could we like watch a movie or something to distract me then?"

"Sure!" She perked up at my words. "How about a TV show? Would that be fine too?"

"Yeah," I smiled. "Any ideas?"

"What about Supergirl? I've been wanting to watch it for a while now because you know, Katie McGrath is in it," Ellie said with a flip of her hair.

"I've been wanting to watch that show too! Oh my god, okay, Supergirl it is then!" I was so pumped since Ellie and I haven't watched a TV show together in a while. I jumped up from the sofa and did a little dance, which consisted of me wiggling my butt side to side. Ellie calls it my 'excited dance'.

"Do we have snacks? Or do we need to go by Metro quickly?" Ellie asked. I mentally went through my kitchen refrigerator and cabinets, thinking of the snacks that we have and didn't have.

"Metro," I decided.

"It's already working," Ellie smiled at me as we gathered our phones in our hands. I stood still for a moment as I tried to understand the meaning behind her words and a second later, the realization hit me. The distraction was working and I felt great. I felt like I finally could breathe again, not having that worried feeling constantly nagging at my every core.

"Why the fuck didn't you tell me that 'you can't keep thinking about it' speech sooner?! I could have saved a few days of anxiety!" I playfully slapped her arm.

"I actually did," she pointed her finger at me. "I told you constantly but it was you who finally decided to listen to it so don't you go accusing me, missy."

"Oh...yeah that is true." I actually did remember her saying that many times the past week.

"Exactly, so fuck you," she playfully stuck her middle finger up at me as I grabbed my wallet and car keys.

We were still in our indoor clothes. I was wearing black Adidas shorts and a plain black t-shirt while Ellie wore black leggings and a light blue muscle tee. We weren't wearing any makeup and our hair was a mess but we didn't care. It was just a quick Metro stop after all so there was no need to change our clothes for that.

I bought strawberries, blueberries, a packet of white chocolate Aero bubbles, ketchup chips, and Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars for our Supergirl marathon. When we got back home, we quickly set up all the snacks and put on the first episode from Netflix on the TV.

Just from watching the first episode, both of us were immediately hooked to the show. Time flew by as we went episode after episode, and before we knew it we already were on the 8th one. There were a few things that we especially loved about it. 1) That Kara/Supergirl's bicep muscles actually show on screen. 2) That Alex, Kara's sister, is such a fucking badass. 3) That they constantly refer to Kara becoming Supergirl as 'coming out of the closet', which we found hilarious.