Chapter 8

I admit that when I said yes to Jason, I wasn't excited. But the day of the date, I found myself in a good mood. It was great reason to get dressed up and feel pretty. Who doesn't love that? Because I had to work later than expected, I took a cab to Watertable armed with an open mind and a positive attitude. 

I spotted Jason right away, sitting at the bar, minus his normal wardrobe of a black cutoff t shirt and backwards hat. He has replaced it with a dark blue button down and dark blue jeans. His hair is combed neatly and he has a day or two worth of stubble. All in all, he looked handsome and I felt a slight glimmer of attraction.

"I'm so sorry I'm late," I said as he stood to greet me with a kiss on the cheek, something he'd never done before. I guess going on a date gives you a certain familiarity. 

"No problem," he said offering the stool next to his.

I sat down carefully and he asked "So what can I get you?"

"What are you having?" I asked.

"A seven and seven."

"I'll have the same."

He ordered with the bartender and laid a twenty down before looking at me again. "You look great, Jess."

I blushed as I always do when I get complimented. It crossed my mind that Matt and I didn't get around to compliments. No..don't think of Matt, I said to myself as I push him back into the corner of my mind where I kept him. "Thanks Jason. You look great yourself. I'm not used to seeing you without your hat."

He chuckled and it was a pleasant sound. "I hate to comb my hair and avoid it at all costs if I can."

"I don't blame you. I'd wear a ponytail or bun every day if I could get away with it."

He took his change from the bartender, left a tip and handed me my drink."Then let's toast to not combing our hair."

"I'll drink to that," I replied clinking my glass with his and sipping from the skinny straw.

A small well dressed young woman smiled as she waited for Jason to finish his drink before saying "Mr. Berry, your table is ready."

"Here, let me carry your drink," he offered as I hopped off the stool and we followed the girl into the restaurant.

As we sat, she handed us two large menus and wine lists. "Your server will be with you shortly."

"Thanks," Jason said picking up the wine list "Do you want some wine?"

"Sure," I replied as I laid my napkin in my lap.

"Red or white?"

"Either is cool with me."

"I'll be honest," he said lowering his voice. "I'm not very good at picking wines. I usually just drink whatever is available."

I smiled at his honest expression. "Me too. I'm not picky when it comes to alcohol."

"All right then. I'll wing it," he said with a wink.

I looked back at the menu as he slid his chair closer to the table. In the process, his knee was now touching mine. It wasn't unpleasant.

"I was almost afraid to ask you out," he admitted as he scanned the menu. "Matt said he didn't think you interested in dating. Something about focusing on your career. I have to admit that was pretty intimidating."

Matt discouraged the date. How rude.

"But then I thought what the hell- I dig her so I'm going to call. I mean, I've been thinking of asking you out since...well you know about me and Adriana. But I figured I had to wait a respectable mourning period so it wouldn't look like I was on the rebound. So here we are," he said slightly relieved.