Chapter 13

Talk's Res Q water parties were always the freaking bomb. He always booked the best entertainment and everyone usually had a hell of a time. I should have been having a great time. But instead I was trying to juggle Jason as I tried to keep my eyes off of Matt.

I shouldn't have been watching at him and Val, who graciously thanked me for saving their weekend. But I was. I should have been satisfied to dance and flirt with the handsome man sitting next to me. But I wasn't. And I was way more relieved when Jason was distracted by some friends that he hadn't seen in a while.

I was able to watch Matt and Valary on the dance floor, his large hands pressed to the small of her back and her arms linked behind his neck. He was looking down at her with those light brown eyes and she looking back at him. I felt a pang of jealousy that was becoming all too common.

"Oh for the love of Christ, stop staring," Brian's amused voice said.

"What? I'm not staring," I replied defensively, turning to look at him but I could tell he wasn't talking to me. I turned toward the direction of his gaze to find Michelle looking back at him from the opposite end of the bar. I chuckled.

"Look at her," he said "she looks like a sad puppy, staring at me. What am I supposed to do with that?"

"You're supposed to tell her, this is a dead end situation, stop hoping," I replied, half trying to convince myself.

"I have told her that," he insisted.

"Then maybe you should stop sleeping with her occasionally."

His brown eyes widened in surprise "Who told you?"

I smiled and shook my head.

"God damnit Matt," Brian said slamming his wine glass down harder than he wanted to on the bar. "He's supposed to keep my secrets too."

"Matt didn't tell me anything," I insisted "I'm just guessing because she's still pining for you."

"Ugh," he replied "She must be out of her mind."

"No..she's just a normal woman who made the mistake of thinking that the man who sleeps with her when he gets the urge might actually want her."

"Oh fuck Jessica, now you're making me feel like shit," he said. "Now I can't in good conscience try to hook up with Sara because you're guilt shaming me over Michelle. I thought you were my friend."

"I am your friend and it looks like Sara has given up on you," I said pointing to her dancing with a tall, dark and handsome man.

Brian scoffed at the sight. "Seriously...no competition."

"Are you sure?" I asked "He's got muscles on muscles on muscles."

He rolled his eyes. "I'm a rock star."

"You're a dick head," Val's voice interjected and I turned startled to find her and Matt walking up behind me.

I laughed as I normally would at her jokes even though Matt being so close made me nervous.

"Ha ha," Brian deadpanned "You only think that cause I broke up with your sister."

"Not true," Val smirked "she's too good for you and you know it."

"Never said she wasn't," Brian contested "still doesn't make what I said untrue."

"You fucking asshole," Val started in.

"Takes one to know one," Brian smirked.

"Okay seriously, are we in third grade?" She snapped.

I chuckled a little bit at them but they ignored me.