7

Having just freshened up for bed, Evelyn exited the temple and stepped past the sleeping diggers. She spotted the Egyptologist, his jeweled canopic jar snugged under one arm, the Book of the Dead laying loose under the other. Evelyn stared at the Book, nervously biting her lip, then she sneaked over, carefully stole it, and quickly tip-toed away.

"That's called stealing, you know"

Laying on some blankets by the campfire, O'Connell rolled over and saw Evelyn, sitting wide-eyed, staring at the Book.

"According to you and my brother... it's called borrowing."

"I thought the Book of Amun-Ra's made out of gold."

"It is made out of gold. This isn't the Book of Amun-Ra. I think this may be the Book of the Dead."

"The Book of the Dead? Are you sure you want to be playin, around with that?"

"It's just a book, no harm ever came from a book.

Evelyn opened the cover. The fire flickered. She and O'Connell share a nervous look, then Evelyn shrugged and started reading.

"Ahmun Ra. Ahmun Dei. It speaks of the night and of the day."

Evelyn continued reading the book aloud in ancient Egyptian.

Suddenly Imhotep's his crusty eyelids popped open, revealing empty sockets.

Madylinn's POV

Dream

Someone was walking through an ancient and bright corridor.

"Ama-Nenet."

The person turned around, but I couldn't see the face. But I could clearly see, that it was a young woman.

"My lady, your father wishes to speak with you."

The woman walked gracefully to the throne room were her father sat on the throne. Another person was standing in front of him. When the pharaoh saw his daughter walking up, he stood and made his way over to her.

"My dear daughter, please greet Imothep, my high priest. And your future husband."

Dream end

The dream slowly started to fade when I heard the Egyptologist yell. The Egyptologist salt bolt upright. Quickly looks around, I followed his eyes and we both saw Evelyn reading a Book. He got up and ran for her.

"NO! NOOOO! YOU MUST NOT READ FROM THE BOOK!"

He skidded to a stop as a strange, piercing whine is heard, coming from out in the desert. O'Connell and the others all leapt to their feet. The Americans ran out of their tents. The sound got louder and closer. And then from out of the darkness a huge wall of locusts swirled into camp and envelops everyone. O'Connell grabbed Evelyn, and Jonathan took my hand and yanked me up. We raced for the crevice, trying to fend off the horrid vermin as we went. Beni and the Americans ran for the temple. I looked back and saw that the Egyptologist was covered in locusts. He stared at the Book of the Dead, looking haunted.

"What have we done?"

O'Connell, Evelyn, Jonathan and me raced down the labyrinth, slapping at ourselves and picking locusts out of our hair.