Section Two

Mayu was still waiting around for Morishige to come back. They had plans for that afternoon, and that's why they hadn't left right away.
They were supposed to rehearse together, and he thought it would be best if they did it in a setting like that of the scene.

"Mayu, why don't we do it in the classroom after school? The scene takes place in a classroom, after all. Doing it this way will allow us to get into character a lot easier, don't you think?"

"Yeah, that's a great idea!"

"Excellent. We'll start once everyone departs. Good?"

"Mhm... Good."

Mayu's face became hot when she remembered how... light she felt. It was always strange... Whenever she talked to him, it was like she was lighter than air. Like she was floating. And yet... her heart was heavy enough to bring her back to the Earth when he left. That's how she felt now.

"Ms. Yui... Do you think everything will be okay?"

"Of course, Suzumoto! Morishige is fine on his own. Isn't he always?"

"...Yeah... You're right."

She began thinking to herself.

He doesn't need me...

He never has.

He never will.

But... That's one of the things I like about him.

His independence.

He's a lone wolf. He could be trapped in a haunted setting and make it by on his own.

But I would be the first to die... Because I would need someone with me.

...Shig, in particular.

Ms. Yui noticed Mayu and her sad expression.

"Oh, what's wrong? I thought that would be reassuring... I'm sorry."

"Ahhhh, no, sensei! It's not your fault at all! I'm just... Um... Worried. That's all."

The small girl abruptly stood and gathered her belongings.

"I am gonna head out! See you tomorrow, Ms. Yui!"

Without waiting for a response, Mayu ran out the door and through the hallway. She was sprinting and losing her breath.

But she couldn't stop.

She had to keep going.

"He needs me... I know it."