Friday, 4th June 1993

"Someone could explain to me why I'm still hiring women?!!!"

Miguel's maxi punch shook the table and even Fosca sitting in front of him, something bad also moved inside me. It happened because those words were screamed by choosing at the same time my eyes: did he expect I answered?! I prefer to opt for my usual signature, silent and sulky face.

Marco bounced between the brutal disappointment of his boss and my non-strategy, while Fosca under interrogation pressed her hands full of tinkling bracelets under the table.

We were more tired than usual that day, for several reasons. First of all the climatic factor: the greenhouse effect didn't stop, amplified by the up & down phases of air conditioning system, not yet perfectly working; you could choose whether to melt like ice under the sun or to get covered by chilly frost, without the possibility of middle durable solutions.

Second, the economic accident: US headquarters had finally quantified and communicated to Miguel the national amount due to contribute to the corporate antitrust litigation; a figure in line with expectations and even of common sense, but not for him. The avaricious Miguel spent every mental and physical energy to make strenuous opposition to the payment however due on all the possible occasions and places, just because all the subjects involved in the accident metabolized the concept that touching 'his' money was worse than triggering an atomic conflict.

Last, the news that Eleonora wouldn't have come back to work after the honey moon temporary stop had definitely knocked us down. Fosca was unexpectedly remained without her diamond tip and she missed her, perhaps more professionally than emotionally; I was happy about her absence, but I was suffering the heavy and sudden burden of additional work, accentuated by my inexperience on the activities she managed. Perhaps that was why I preferred not to give up in front Miguel's provocations: why was he getting angry with me for Eleonora's maternity, considering I was one of those having to work more to remedy to her absence?!

Perhaps he reached a similar conclusion too, because after several silly sentences on the same subject he calmed down, until looking again at me with his rabid bulldog big face.

"Giulia, I didn't mean..."

Marco intervened to save him:

"Can't she come here at least for the handover?" he asked to Fosca.

"No, she can't. She doesn't feel well. The doctor said she's at risk and she must stay in bed."

If they knew how much I was at risk spending all my days with her!

"Then Giulia can visit her at home for doing that!" Miguel mumbled again, investing me with his dragon fiery breath.

Why me?! Absolutely not!

Someone interpreted my provocative expression:

"No Miguel, it's not feasible. All the documentation is here, how could she do that? And for doing a good job they should stay in front of a computer, connected to the intranet."

But his boss was too furious to let win an employee who had never liked, moreover who had decided to think only to herself without asking before his permission.

"No, I'm not convinced. Let's check with the IT guys!"

"They're good but they can't do miracles. No Miguel, it's not the right solution" his deputy objected again.

It was the first time I saw Marco disobeying, I was curious to see Miguel's reactions.

"I don't agree Marco, at all."