Saturday, 24th July 1993

Last working day at the ice-cream shop.

Beautiful goodbye moments, among kisses and hugs, also a significant final reward (taxes excluded obviously), put directly inside the pocket of my jeans shorts by an Angelo almost moved by my leave.

I greeted them all in the afternoon, with the sincere promise to meet again during the summer but also afterwards. Betty's sister smiled at me already mixed to the group, enthusiastic about the job so quickly learned, so giving me the opportunity to end a weekend before.

I had a scary trip by coach, I seriously risk to bake my brain. Once out it wasn't late, there was still the time to reach the local seaside resort, then sunbathing for a while, or, as I hoped more, to chat a little with friends.

I quickly changed my outfit and I walked the usual killer path.

When I got to the church I noticed something strange.

On the raised base of the small building a child was watching the water, leaning, too much. I stopped and I thought; probably, behind the corner, hidden from my view, there was someone who was guarding him, promptly intervening in case of real need. That is, it wasn't my business.

However, now addicted to Marco's prudential pessimism, I didn't content myself with that hypothesis and I decided to move closer to check personally.

I approached and with great amazement I realized the baby was alone. That beach side was normally deserted as used as parking area for rowing boats; furthermore on the weekend, at six, there was the mass and polite naked bathers preferred not to get in touch with old people attending it, in the same way to avoid of being personally invited by the priest to get in the church.

Anguish reached me and I hurried towards the baby. His little blonde head, got curious by the slight wave underneath and perhaps even by the sight of some fishes, moved more and more towards the water, carrying with himself also his chubby body, not taking care of the danger.

But those features weren't new to me, Edo!

I started running and while he was unknowingly preparing himself for a dive, I grabbed him on the fly avoiding the worst.

He immediately turned, still immersed in his fantasies, probably my alarmed expression didn't suggest him the same happy innocence. I tried to hide it to him as much as possible:

"Ciao Edo, what are you doing here?"

My young friend indicated the fish swimming in the high and mossy water, my theories were correct.

"Let's go, I'll bring you home now."

Edo took my hand unaware, while I didn't stop sweating; surely it depended on the pressing heat but above all I couldn't avoid to think about what could have happened if I was just a minute late.

The area around the sporting centre as usual was crowded, from the volleyball court to the pier especially by teenagers, while the playground was full of children supervised by their parents.

On the most distant benches I recognized Marco and Dante.

They were fighting.

Not screaming but quarrelling.

It was evident by the way they were gesturing, by their livid faces. As always more fierce the son's look, lovingly tense instead the father's one.

The latter was the first to notice my arrival; seeing me coming with Edo they immediately got up, heading towards me, both agitated.

"Giulia, why Edo is with you?!" Marco asked, making me tremble every cell.