Hidden density

Alongside black holes, the universe knows kinder forms of failure.

Indeed decayed masses can ponder the stinging defeat then classy rising, so evolving into white dwarfs. These bodies, not only don't personalize, but make themselves available to others, firmly believing that, if that possibility has been denied to them, it must be however granted to all coming after. The white dwarf doesn't know grudge and envy, with great humbleness make himself available to fight good causes; this gives him the title, if not of a king, however of a nobleman, equally worthy to reside in the same heavenly court.

A white dwarf, though not having reached the top of the cosmic evolution, however remains in all respects a star; his peculiar characteristics are a very low luminosity and a colour close to pearled white, as an undeniable desire to be part of the everything without being noticed.

Such asters are characterized by small dimensions, comparable to the Earth, but their mass is similar or slightly higher than then Sun; therefore they're extremely compact objects, one of the most dense materials ever known.

They're accompanied by high temperature and superficial gravity. Their diaphanous beauty masks very passionate and deep feelings and with them the ability to attract to themselves equally talented bodies.

Inside white dwarfs there're no longer thermonuclear reactions; since they're no longer subject to fusion phenomena, they don't have a source of autonomous energy which can oppose the gravitational collapse they're naturally subjected. Once the pressure reaches a balance with the gravitational pull, they can no longer squeeze and begin a gradual cooling leading them to become inactive and obscure bodies.

The birth and subsequent dissolution of a white dwarf is a slow and gradual process, kept secret with exemplary willpower. Indeed smart and sensitive eyes are necessary to realize that inner unstoppable violent storm risking to destroy them forever. So it happens that they often disappear without any real attempt of rescue is effectively put in place, a real shame considering the extraordinary properties characterizing them.

There's more. The disappearance of white dwarfs, though not scenic, especially if compared to the furious boldness of black holes, is however fundamental for universal evolution. Indeed during the cooling process they expel their lighter layers dispersing them into the cosmos, so fertilizing the interstellar nebula and increasing the probability of blooming of new asters.

It's believed that white dwarfs represents more than 97% of the existing stars. We live suspended in an apparent nothing we know so little, but certainly dominated by a royal discreet kindness.