-3. Giant and dangerous

From bad to worse.

And who knows how long all this will go on.

In the core of the red giant heavy combustions transform helium into carbon, but when also the reserve tank will be exhausted it will be necessary to face a new crossroad.

Red giants with smaller mass, once helium is ended, cool and die; but if the mass is important, the star evolves into a red supergiant, where carbon becomes the new protagonist of nuclear fusions. More and more great, more and more hysterical, more and more exhausted; these are the features of this new celestial state.

After a new gravitational collapse due to the lack of an adequate radiation pressure, the supergiant starts new thermonuclear reactions, involving also superficial layers and not just the nucleus.

Outer layers are affected by thermonuclear reactions among lighter elements, while the deepest layers by heaviest ones; new chemical elements come to life, such as oxygen, neon, silicon and sulphur. The painful resistance of the supergiant doesn't grant eternity, but it's however able to generate something new overcoming herself, a process as rare as generous.

In the heart of the star these reactions give rise to nickel atoms tending to decay immediately into iron, an element more stable but which can be fused only with a great energy input, in short a ballast more and more overwhelming to carry around.

Succeeding or not is as always a matter of mass; once all the supergiant's core will be transformed into burdensome thoughts, nuclear fusion reactions will stop, until to make the star sink, forever.

The end of the story.

But if inside some of that primitive essence is still hidden,

then that last word common to all stories can't yet be written;

on her mighty light just few people dared believe,

yet the unexpected they then admired shining with relief.

And even now, after all that fighting and proving, even though that superficial first opinion isn't possible to blur,

couldn't the umpteenth surprising wonder occur?

Knowing a chance to us not given,

hoping however equally not forbidden.

Chaos and patience dance so near,

the whirling ballet the entire universe observes and fears.

The fiery warrior of the flames of mystery can't go beyond,

but once again to make the difference will be just true love.