Chapter 12

People were everywhere. My eyes couldn't take it all in as fast as I wanted them to. Groups of people were having conversations, and the room echoed with them. I instinctively tightened my grip on Lars's hand as he led me inside.

"Lars," someone called.

We both turned to see who it was. "Smile," she laughed as she snapped a picture.

"Sorry, Bella," Lars apologized. "I forgot to mention that a lot of pictures were going to be taken."

"It's ok," I assured him. "It could be way worse."

"Hello, you two," James called to us as he zig-zagged his way through the crowd, Elle hot on his tail.

"Jesus, James," Lars huffed, his accent prominent. "I didn't expect this many people."

"Well, we don't have to stay the whole time, we can leave whenever."

I looked in Elle's direction, noticing she was staring at Lars's hand locked in mine. She caught my eyes and smirked. Clearly, it wasn't what she thought.

Eventually, we found Kirk and Jason, along with their dates, and made our own little group, letting a few people join. It was actually kind of fun, gossiping about other rockstars and listening to what the guys said about the upcoming album. "Black Album is going to be big," Kirk gushed. "I've got a lot of new stuff. Have you guys heard of Chris Cornell? If you haven't, you need to check him out. He gave me some ideas. He's a genius!"

"Bella," Elle whispered in my ear. "How's Lars?"

"He's fine," I returned while giving her a puzzled look. "Why?"

"I was just curious..."

It was an hour in, and people were still showing up. I decided to get some air so I made my way down the steps and onto the lawn. Someone with sunglasses and dark hair smiled at me as he made his way to the stairs. I had a feeling it was Nick Menza, but it was hard to tell in the little light that was left.

I started to shiver. The sun was almost fully set now, and the tiny lamp posts lit up the walkway as I made my way to the steps. "It's a beautiful evening, isn't it," a smoky voice of an approaching stranger called to me.

I turned and faced them, trying to make out who it was. "It really is," I agreed as my eyes fought to focus in the dim light.

"Here, let me get that for you," he offered as he opened the door for me.

As we stepped into the brightly lit room, I was actually pleased at who was being so polite: Dave Mustaine.
"Thank you," I giggled while I tried not to stare at his perfect features.

"May I ask what your name is?"

"It's Bella, and I'm not even going to ask for your's Dave. I already know who you are!"

He chucked at my goofiness. "Well, Bella, it's nice to meet you, and if it's alright, you look absolutely stunning."

"Thank you! That means a lot."

"So, are you here with a date, or..."

We made our way towards the center of the room. "Yes, I'm with-"

"She's with me, Dave," Lars cut in, placing a protective hand on my lower back.

"Well, just as friends," I added.

"Bella, I think we better be going-"

"Lars," I cut him off this time. "I'm really enjoying this. It's a great party, and Dave and I were just starting to get to know each other."

"Well, um, something's come up, you see..."

Yeah right. "Oh, ok," I gave in. "It was nice meeting you, Dave. Maybe I'll see you around!"

"I'd love to see you again, gorgeous," he purred before kissing my hand.

"Goodbye!"

Lars began leading my by my wrist. "Lars, stop," I hissed as I tore out of his grip.

I hurried away from him down the stairs. "Jeez, you're welcome."

"What the fuck is your problem," I spat as I spun around, face-to-face with him.

"I don't have a problem, but you were going to."

"How? Because you're jealous of Dave? He was being a gentleman, and we were hitting it off."

"No, I-"

"Do you really think that I would of ran off with him or something? Fuck him in the bathroom? C'mon Lars!"

"No, that's not what I'm saying-"

"Then what are you saying?"

He was struggling to find an answer. "Just tell me," I softly pleaded.

"Ok, ok, I was jealous. I'm sorry, ok? If you want to go back, go ahead, I'll go home."

I actually wasn't expecting him to say he was jealous. I thought that he didn't trust Dave, which is ridiculous. "I'm sorry," I murmured.

"What? For what?"

"That was rude of me to seem flirty with him like that. I'm your date, not his. I'd actually probably act the same..."

He looked down at the ground, not sure of what to say. Without thinking, I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him in for a tight hug. "Whoa, what was that for," he squeaked.

"For everything."

"Everything?"

I grabbed his hand and led him towards the sidewalk. "I'm sorry I've been such a bitch," I apologized as I kicked a pebble.

"It's ok, I deserved it. I was so rude. You were just trying to help."

"I don't blame you, though. Like you said, some people need to be shut out. I just didn't want to be one of those people."

"Don't worry, you aren't!"

"Ok, good," I giggled at his sudden panic.

A few moments of silence went by as we made our way down the unknown sidewalk. "So, do you like Dave?"

Oh, no, not that question. I wasn't going to lie to him. "Yes, but I feel like he isn't really my type."

"Oh. Well then, what is 'your type'?"

"I honestly don't know. I just know it's not him."

He nodded, getting what I was saying. "Do you have any idea where we're going?"

"No," I laughed. "But I kinda was bored at that party..."

"You liar," he yelped as he turned to grab me, laughing his head off.

I giggled as he pulled me in close, pinning my arms against my chest. "I'll teach you a lesson," he teased.

My whole body went limp. "Oh really?"

"Oh, god, not like that," he exclaimed, letting go.

"I know, I'm just teasing," I snorted.

We laughed at each other's awkwardness. "Bella, can I tell you something?"

I already started to have a feeling of what he was going to say. "Of course!"

"Well, um... I might have a tiny cru-"

"Hey, what are you guys doing," Kirk yelled out of the limousine as they pulled up next to us. "We've been looking for you two everywhere!"

Fucking Kirk. "Oh! We just went for a walk," Lars lied. "C'mon Bella, let's go!"