Chapter 16

I was woken by the sound of soft rain hitting the roof. It was the first rain of the season, the one that turns summer dust into Autumn mud.

With a sigh and a stretch, I stiffly made my way out to brew some coffee. Oh yeah, I thought. Metallica's drummer stayed the night, and he's still here. Oh, and we're dating.

"I'm crazy," I whispered to myself as I shook my head, unable to keep the small grin off my face.

I was trying to be quiet, because Lars was probably sleeping. I tiptoed across the room to turn on the TV for the news. It was the usual. Someone pissed someone off, so and so got married, that kind of crap.

I sat down on the edge of the couch and tried to make myself interested, but it wasn't working. I glanced outside to see a full-on downpour.

Holy shit.

It was so loud, I couldn't even hear the TV anymore. I was mesmerized by the falling rain and couldn't look away. I must of stared for a couple minutes, because it put me in a trance.

Finally, I broke out of it and turned to check on the coffee. I didn't realize that Lars had walked up behind me. "Aaaahhh!!"

"Wow, Jesus, sorry, babe! I didn't realize I was that scary," he apologized as he held his hands up.

"Oh my God, I didn't realize you were right there!"

"I didn't mean to scare you," he chuckled. "I just wasn't sure what you were doing?"

I made my way over to the kitchen. "I was just watching the rain."

"It's really coming down!"

"Yeah."

He looked at me, a sly grin on his face. "You're that type of girl."

That slightly rubbed me the wrong way. "Mr Ulrich, did you just stereotype me?"

"No, you can't be stereotyped. But you're a dreamer."

"I guess. I don't know, I just love the rain, I think it's peaceful."

"I can tell. You stood there for almost five minutes."

"And you watched me?"

"How could I look away? You looked so beautiful."

Oh, shit. That was smooth.

I didn't know what to say, but I felt my cheeks burning, probably turning rosy. I looked down at the counter, a grin covering my face.

"Let's do something. Just the two of us," I suggested, breaking out of my haze.

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh yeah? I like where this is going."

"Not that! Let's have a rainy picnic," I giggled.

"A rainy picnic?"

"Yes!"

"Aren't picnics supposed to be sunny and warm?"

"It's warm, and the rain's let up!"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Ok, but this sounds crazy!"