Chapter 6: Stubborn and Contentious

Evelyn's POV

***

"We can't just leave him here!"

"Okay. You stay, I'll be back in an hour-"

"You can't leave me! I want to go too!"

"Oh my goodness Evelyn make up your damn mind! We can't both go, and I know for certain I'm not staying...there's only one reasonable solution-"

"For me to stay while you have fun!? This is partly your fault you know."

"I swear you live off of picking fights and blaming people. Can't you just get a grip. You love him, so you stay!"

Just then Derick stirred in the seat we had tied him up in. It was Casey's idea. She had duck taped his mouth shut too, and blind folded him. I turned to look at Casey and she held her finger up to her lips, motioning that we step out side her room. Yes, her room. She claimed not to trust me enough to keep Derick blind folded if she left me in the room with him.

"What now?"

"I'm thinking we kill him, get it over with-"

"No! He didn't do anything."

"He looked."

"Okay, but who wouldn't look Casey, you were hideous!"

"He could turn us in the-" we both turned towards the noise behind the door. Derick had some how managed to tip himself over in the chair and had knocked down one of Casey's 'prized possessions'.

"This is ridiculous. I'm untying him."

"Evelyn no-"

"What the heck Evelyn!" He looked pissed, but disappointed, hurt even. I looked deep in to his eyes, trying to get him to see the sincerity and apology in mine. We stared into each others eyes for what felt like ages. Everything around us had disappeared, including Casey. It was just us two. In the midst of all of this, we had found our quiet place. He still loved me, I could tell by the way he looked at me. His heart ached for me, ached for my love, and mine for his, for his forgiveness...

"Derick, I'm sorry."

"Okay."

And just like that everything had been forgotten. Literally. When we got back to reality, nothing had changed.Casey was still standing behind me, fuming; but I felt different. Like I had just connected on a whole new level with Derick.

"Can you untie me now."

"Are you insane!? We can't just let you walk out of here a free man, you've seen too much...you know too much."

"What is she talking about?" My ears perked up, anxious to hear Casey's response... But nothing. Complete, utter silence.

"I'm not dumb. Trying to play your way out of here! Just because she is untying you it doesn't mean you are leaving, nor does it mean we are going to play 'pretend'!"

"Casey, I really have no idea what you are talking about, but I sure as hell won't allow you to talk to me in that tone! Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to leave now."

There it is again. The silence. I loved this look on her.

"I'll walk you out." We walked right past Casey, who seemed to still be having a hard time actually believing Derick had forgotten everything; from the pizza guy, to the pool of blood, to Asher, and the head on the counter. Everything.

***

"How did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"All you did was look at him, and he snapped out of it with amnesia... I want to know how you did it. And don't play dumb with me." She yanked me onto her bed, making me trip over the chair that still laid on her floor.