I.

"Why do I get this feeling you're about to mess up my entire life?"

-Mia Hall , If I Stay

I.

   I sigh as I pick up another heavy box from my car and carry it up the steps to my apartment complex, I open the main door and step in. The hallways aren't entirely clean nor is the lighting at it's best but I ignore it as I walk up a flight of stairs and down a hall. I just moved to Hell's kitchen from Brooklyn because of the bad neighborhood I was in and from the looks of it this neighborhood did not seem too safe either. Although, I heard talks of vigilantes roaming the streets in Hell's kitchen, fighting crime, maybe it's not as bad, in Brooklyn we don't have crime fighters. Well there is the police but where I lived they rarely came around, and if they did, it was the corrupt side of the task force. The only thing anyone knew about Brooklyn was that stripes guy grew up there, the super soldier. They had a monument and everything. They were very proud.

I hold the brown box in one hand as I unlock my apartment door with the other. Apartment 114. I step into the place and I'm a little thrown by the dusty smell, I guess it was better than the smell of mold at my old apartment. I would have to light some candles and do some cleaning before I could actually start calling this a home. Entering the apartment, it is an open floor plan. There is a door to my left and the kitchen is to the right, an open kitchen as well along with a small area for dining. There's a hallway to the right of me by the kitchen and I set the box down by the door before heading down it. There is a door on my right side and a door on the left. I open the door on the left to an empty room, a bedroom to be exact. It's big compared to my old room and I rejoice in the comfort of more room. I exit the room and open the other door, it is a simple restroom with a decent size tub, nothing spectacular. Besides, with the price I'm paying for this place I don't expect it to be of the best quality but I think it's pretty cheap for this kind of set up. Maybe it's the neighborhood.

I walk back down the hall and out the door so I can go back and get my other stuff. I packed all my belongings in just eight boxes. I left my old dresser and bed there for my landlord to deal with, and I already placed in an order from a company to come deliver a new bedpost and mattress along with a dresser, a couch, and a coffee table. I didn't want the hassle of trying to take trips between Brooklyn and Hell's kitchen just for ratty furniture, the traffic is insane and I think it was time for an upgrade anyways. Since my stuff won't be in till tomorrow though I have some blankets and pillows so I could sleep on the floor. Not very convenient but it's what I have to do. I unlock my car again and grab another box but as I do the bottom caves and all my silverware, pots, and pans fall out. I silently curse under my breath and start to pick them up and back into my car since the box is now useless. As I'm gathering everything a voice startles me.

"Need some help, ma'am?" The voice is from a male and I stand up and turn around to face a tall muscular man. His shoulders are straight and he holds his head high. His posture is stiff and I recognize the stature, he's a soldier or was. I take notice because my older brother served in the army, I know a soldier when I see one. The man was overall attractive, his cheekbones were hollow and he had a big nose that I couldn't help think was cute, it looked like it had been broken a few times. His presence should have scared me but seeing as I'm pretty sure he was a soldier, I felt okay, not safe nor terrified but I was okay.

I clear my throat, "uh, yeah, sure, I just moved in." I pointed toward the small complex and he nods.

"I live here too." He reaches out his hands motioning me to hand him the other box and I get it from the back seat and hand it to him. I throw the rest of the silverware in the car and grab another box that I was going to hold but he just motions for me to place the box onto of the one he is holding.