XI.

"My own little doctor."

XI.

After more police showed up we all gathered around outside. I walked around to where the detective was taking a picture of the man inside the truck. He was bound in duct tape and taped to the wheel. Frank did this. I know this is what he does but seeing it is so much different.

"Ma'am, we're going to need you to step away." An officer says to me and I nod my head and back up. I hear Karen and Foggy arguing with the DA and although I'm just as mad, I didn't feel like stepping in. Besides, she was getting into her car already as I was walking over.

"I'm gonna call Matt now and see if he's...well enough to figure this out." Foggy says. Matt's been in and out recently and I could tell it wasn't because he wasn't feeling well like Foggy has been saying. But I chose not to say anything because it's honestly none of my business.

"Alright, I'm gonna go back to the office. I'm gonna see if I can find a way that Reyes doesn't skin us alive."

"I'll come with." I tell her and she nods.

After we got back to the office and dig up everything we could on Reyes, we paid a little visit to her assistant. It didn't take much for him to give in and give Karen the information she wanted on the Punisher. The file was pretty big so me and Karen split it up.

"You staying here to work?" I ask Karen as I grab my purse and keys off the desk.

"Yeah, I work better here." She tells me as she starts to write stuff down already.

"I can stay too if you want." I suggest. I felt bad for leaving her.

"No, it's fine. Trust me. Just call if you find something out and I'll do the same." She says.

"Alright, just don't stress about this too much. Just take it easy. Tonight was...hectic." I say and she nods.

"I'll see you." I add and head out the door. I quickly get into my car once I exit the building. I drive straight home and head up the stairs and unlock my apartment door. To my surprise Frank is not already here. It's been hours since the set up, where the hell is he? I set my stuff down and send him a quick text asking him to come over. I didn't want him thinking I knew what happened yet. I didn't want him to think I was setting him up. I just need to talk about everything. I huff and sit down on the couch. Max comes out from down the hall and jumps up on the couch with me. He was probably sleeping in my bed. Frank let him stay here once we made up. I don't know why nor do I care. Max was my dog now just as much as he was Franks.

"Time to get to work." I say and pull out my half of the files. I grab a notebook and pen and get to it. There's so many gruesome pictures and my stomach stirs thinking about how Frank did all of this. I check all the police reports on all of the murders. I start to take notes like Karen would about the Punishers tendencies and who he mostly targets. I try to find the bigger picture, who does he want? Is he killing all these people to get to someone or is there another reason for all of this? I know he's a vigilante and I know he's been putting down the criminals but was there something else we were missing? I know I could ask Frank but there's no point in doing it for the firm. Whatever information Frank tells me I can't go to Karen and the guys and tell them. Not only would that help them find out who the Punisher is but it would also be a violation of trust. I like Frank and I wouldn't put him in danger.

I keep sorting through the pages and pages of reports. Writing down even more pages of notes. Max stays by my side cuddled next to me sleeping. I smile at him and pet him. By this time it's already 2am and I'm exhausted. I finished looking through everything, I even went through it twice to see if I missed anything but there was nothing on my end. Maybe Karen has something. I shoot her a quick text telling her I didn't find anything groundbreaking but I still have notes. I half expect her not to text back since it's so late but I should know better. She will probably work on this case till the sun rises. I get a text back right away saying she's still looking and she may have found something but we would discuss it in person. I wasn't arguing there, I don't think I could stay awake for a phone call.