II.

"How can anyone not love New York?"

II.

"Thank you so much." I say to the two guys from the furniture company. They had just moved in all my stuff so I can finally set up everything.

"No problem, miss." One of them says and the other nods. I hand them each a ten dollar bill for tip even though they don't do tips. They took it from me and said a quick thank you before leaving. I looked at my living room that now had a brown couch, a coffee table, and another small table that held my tv on top. When my brother passed away I inherited everything of his and all his money. So I have a bit more money than I know what to do with, I keep it in the bank and I don't touch it unless I absolutley have to. But I haven't had to use much of it and there's no need for me to.

Me and my brother Colin were best friends and we were never that close to my parents after we moved to New York City. Well I moved with him, I lived in Rhode Island until I was fifteen and my brother was twenty six at the time, he was living in New York and had asked me to move in with him. I of course said yes considering my parents were barely present for majority of my teenage years and my parents were okay with it. They were buried in work and to be honest I think they just didn't care to take care of me anymore. It sounds bad and I guess it is but it never mattered to me because I always had Colin. Had being the key word.

When he passed away I didn't know what to do. I was 19 at the time and he had just turned 30 a few months before he passed. I had a steady job as a receptionist at a tech company but rent was so extreme I had to move. Part of me wanted to move because of the memories of Colin, sometimes I felt like I could still hear his laugh as he watched something on tv when he was home and had a month or two off. The distance was tough when he would leave but each time he would come back I spent so much time with him just grateful that he came back to me, until he didn't. Another part of me wanted to get out because all I could think about was him, I had lost my best friend and there I was in an empty apartment with all his stuff. So I eventually moved to Brooklyn. The rent wasn't too crazy and although the neighborhood was bad it was home for a little while. Until it started to get worse and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore so here I am. Hell's kitchen. The irony of moving somewhere with the word Hell in it is not lost on me. But so far it seemed like an okay place, my neighbor is closed off but friendly enough— or as much as he could be. And I already had a job until I could find a different one, I would go crazy being locked in my home all day.

Deciding that everything that needed to be put away is done and everything is clean, I texted Donna that I was settled and free whenever she needed me. We exchanged numbers before I left yesterday and although I thought I would take another day because of my laziness to unpack I just went and did it all today.

Laura can't come in today, would you mind coming in from 4 to 10?

Sure thing! See ya!

My first shift would be 6 hours and if I'm honest I'm completely okay with it. The diner seemed like a cool place and Donna and the guys were sweet. She also said they don't get many people so it should be a fairly easy day. I look to the clock to see that it's three. Might as well start getting ready. I got up from my couch and walked into my room. The bed was now in the middle displaying a thick white comforter and my white fluffy pillows. I also had a night stand and book shelf on either sides of the bed. It was starting to feel like home.

I quickly open my dresser and rummage through for clothes. Ultimately I decide on a pair of black jeans, a grey top, and my leather jacket. I paired it with my white converse. Seeing as I was working with food I threw my hair up into a bun, it was kind of messy but luckily i was able to get some frizzy strands to stay down. I grabbed my charger and threw it in my purse in case my phone were to die, I'm sure Donna wouldn't mind. I look at the clock to see it's only 3:30. I'll just go early, it's around a 15 minute walk anyways. I grab my purse and step out and make sure the door is locked as I make my way to the diner. Every time I pass a block I make sure to remember the name and the places nearby so I can get use to where everything is. Eventually Donna's diner comes into view and I walk in. There's only two booths filled up and from the looks of it they already ate.